Talk

Advanced search

Eglu

(12 Posts)
needanewname Sat 13-Aug-11 17:31:57

So sorry if this has been done to death but we've finally decided to get one and 2 chickens.

DH has seen one in action now and likes it.

So the questions are:

1. Do we go for the Classic or Go? What are the positives and negatices with them?
2. Is it really OK to keep them in the Eglu all day? When we're around we'll let them out but we have a very active fox at the back of our garden, in fact he#s just been in our garden now!
3. Going back to the fox thing, are we mad for even thinking that we could keep chickens?!

TIA

BogChicken Sat 13-Aug-11 17:43:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

needanewname Sat 13-Aug-11 18:13:36

Bugger.

Thought these eglus were fox proof.

We were also thinking of putting wire under the eglu to, just to make sure it didn't somehow get up and under.

Migsy1 Sat 13-Aug-11 18:26:42

1. I have had both. I currently have a Classic. The Go is lighter but less robust. It is a bit easier to clean because it is lighter and has fewer parts. However, the nest box is shallow and my chooks kicked all the bedding out.

2. Two chickens would be fine in the standard run all day. I suggest a 1m additional extension per chicken. Alternatively, you could buy an Eglu without the run and buy a walk in run (WIR) to put it in. This is what I have and I would recommend it. Have a look on this site for WIRs

www.bay-animal-housing.co.uk/

and for examples

club.omlet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=45544&start=975

3. Foxes are everywhere. Don't let it put you off. Almost everyone who has chickens will have a fox nearby. It is just a matter of protecting them from Mr Fox.

If you look at the Forum on the Omlet website you can get loads of advice about fox proofing from other members.

Good luck. I love my chooks.

BogChicken Sat 13-Aug-11 18:28:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

needanewname Sat 13-Aug-11 19:35:18

So pleased to hear that!

At the moment I can only convince DH to go for a Classic or Go, though if we (he) really likes them he will consider upgrading to a Cube.

At the moment I'm heading towards a classic but would still be interested to hear other views.

Migsy1 Sat 13-Aug-11 22:55:18

If you can afford a cube then I would get one. This is because once you have chickens you will want to add to your flock. You will, honestly!

needanewname Sun 14-Aug-11 08:58:30

I will let dh know. Thanks!

sleepingbunny Sun 14-Aug-11 22:12:27

Hiya
We have a classic eglu, and there are DEFINITELY active foxes round here (in fact, I've noticed previous posts from you and I suspect you live pretty near us - we're at the Catford end of Forest Hill). We've had chickens for three years - currently only have one but that's not from fox action. It's plenty big enough for two hens and we only let them out when we're in the garden.
Don't let the foxes put you off. The eglu classic is great - easy to clean, kids love it, and are good at collecting the eggs. We shift its position weekly on woodchip and it seems fine.

Sn0wGoose Tue 23-Aug-11 16:03:03

Another eglu owner here grin

We have 2 run extensions and the hens spend a lot of time in there, we let them into the garden but they cause a lot of damage -- we only let them on the lawn in the summer and keep them to the patio in winter (it's fenced off).

We have a fox in the area -- the run is fox resistant, but you'll want to dig down and line the edge of the run with chicken wire or something, or it'll dig in. They're clever blighters. The eglu itself is pretty fox proof if it's closed, but you'd have to be getting up at 4-5am to let them out of it in the summer as they wake when the sun comes up.

needanewname Wed 24-Aug-11 12:48:21

Hi Sleeping bunny. Yes we do indeed live close to one another! Am intrigued to know if I know you in RL!!

Well we got a classic on ebay - was a little disappointed that it hadn;t been power washed as claime buy there you go.

Know just need to get it reasdy to order our chickens.

THe new Omley catalogue arrived today, next question - what is really essential and what is nice to have?!

pickgo Wed 24-Aug-11 15:03:43

Best thing to do is build a walk in run. Bit of 2x 2 wood for a box like frame and some weld mesh panels stapled (or nailed) on to it. 2 hinges and frame for door with weld mesh ditto. Not a big job. Above all chickens need space.

Other essentials: feeder, drinker, pellets - that's it really. Chickens get stressed when moving environments so try to keep things quiet for the first week or two. After that examine under their wings and round the vent area weekly to check for lice and mites which are the chicken keepers worst enemy.

Happy chicken keeping!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now