Talk

Advanced search

oulling their feathers out-what to do?

(5 Posts)
waitingtobeamummy Wed 10-Aug-11 16:30:45

About 4 weeks ago they had mites which we dealt with. They ar both pulling feathers out around their necks and under their chests. Have checked for mites and can't see any but did them again just incase, and have sprayed their feathers with anti peck stuff too but they are still doing it. Seem very happy and are still laying fine. What is causing it?Is theit mites that I cant see?Are they bored? help please!

MissBeehiving Wed 10-Aug-11 20:36:52

Feather pulling can be caused by lack of protein but if they're laying Ok that shouldn't be an issue. It can also be caused by lack of space - how much room do they have?

3mum Wed 10-Aug-11 21:14:34

Assuming you really have got all the mites which is very difficult, especially if you have a wooden ark( I'd suggest taking out all the bedding from their ark and cleaning the whole thing with jeyes fluid - if you itch after doing this that's a clue! (although the mites will not live for long on a human host) try keeping them totally in the dark for 48 hours. this is a good way to break any undesirable chicken habits including persecuting another chicken. Just don't let them out of their ark.

brambleschooks Wed 10-Aug-11 22:14:05

Are they starting to go broody? It has been warm lately and that sets mine off.

waitingtobeamummy Fri 12-Aug-11 10:06:24

Think its deficiency as hada soft shelled egg and didn't realise we had ran out of oyster shell for them (we mix it into their food) feel so cruel to the poor things. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now