Talk

Advanced search

Anyone about to talk chickens? I'm worried about Rebecca...

(7 Posts)
cadelaide Tue 09-Aug-11 18:50:25

...our little Pekin.

She has a cold or something, we have abs from the vet, she hasn't eaten or drunk since lunchtime. Should I try to get fluid into her or leave her alone?

MissBeehiving Tue 09-Aug-11 20:38:52

What did they diagnose and what ABs did they give you? If they're soluble (Tylan/Aureomycin) and she's not drinking then you need to get them into her somehow. I would syringe feed her the AB's if they are soluble. I also syringe feed mine with liquidised egg/catfood/cod liver oil if they're not feeding.

Did the the vet inject her with Baytril?

cadelaide Tue 09-Aug-11 22:45:15

Thanks MissB, we are syringe feeding, vet diagnosed a cold.

She had picked up a little before sundown, she was half-heartedly scratching about and I think I saw her having a drink.

Goodness, don't they go downhill fast? She was just fine yesterday.

Fingers crossed for the morning.

MissBeehiving Wed 10-Aug-11 07:08:23

How is she this morning?

nickelbabe Wed 10-Aug-11 11:28:40

chickens can't get colds.

they can get respiratory problems or diseases, though.

Does your vet say they know about chickens? I would imagine they've given her Baytril, because that's the "cure-all" for chickens, but it's worrying that he said she's got a cold.
maybe it was just him saying that to make it sound like easier terminology.

Get one of those cat/dog syringes from the pet shop and syringe feed her water and juice for a little while.
It might just be that she feels crap and doesn't want to eat, but make sure she's got plenty to peck at, and once the ABs kick in, she should be okay.

cadelaide Thu 11-Aug-11 23:02:30

She probably said "cold" bacause she was addressing DS who's 12, I took it to mean a respiratory infection.

She's picked up amazingly and is feeding and drinking well. She croaks though, instead of her usual tuneful chirp. grin

nickelbabe Fri 12-Aug-11 10:40:29

i figured it might be something like that smile
(well, at least, i hoped!! grin )

i'm glad it sounds like she's picking up smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now