Talk

Advanced search

2 coops, poles apart - help me choose!

(26 Posts)
EllieorOllie Tue 09-Aug-11 15:28:03

I'm getting hens for my 30th at the end of this month and need to get some housing for them. I know that I should build my own, but neither I or anyone I know has the time or the skills, so I'm looking to buy a coop with a run, as they won't be able to free range all the time. We have a few foxes but nothing too major, have left guinea pigs out in their totally-not-fox-proof run a couple of times way past dusk without any issues. I'm planning to get 3 hybrids to start with, and have a budget of about 250 quid for the house itself. Trying to avoid foreign imports, would prefer something made here as it would seem more likely to last! So, the two I have narrowed it down to are these:

www.solwayrecycling.co.uk/recycled-shop/pig-poultry/hen-houses/solway-mini-hen-coop

www.cornwallpoultryhouses.co.uk/online-shop/poultry-houses/details/7/1/poultry-houses/st-loy

With both of these I would purchase the matching runs detailed on the website.

Now I know these are extremely different types, but for some reason I like them both alot. At the moment I'm more inclined to the wooden A-frame coop, in case I want to get more chickens, but I do like the fox-proofing on the plastic coop, as well as its usability.

Advise me please! Which would be best?! Or is the something else which would be even better... Please help!

RedBlanket Tue 09-Aug-11 15:31:50

I'd go for the plastic one. We had an outbreak of red mite in our wooden one and no amount of cleaning, hosing, dusting could get rid if it. Plastic all the way for me.

I prefer wooden coops.

EllieorOllie Tue 09-Aug-11 15:34:15

Ha ha, oh dear, I have divided opinion already. Thanks for your advice!

nickelbabe Tue 09-Aug-11 15:54:22

I prefer wooden ones too. smile

but I can see the point of getting a plastic one.

IMO, red mite can be prevented and also cured with Red Mite Powder smile

I've never had an attack, although we did have ants. that was interesting....
they were cleaned up by boiling water and jeyes fluid (and the help of that spider that took residence in the top corner grin )

It depends whic hone you think you could cope with on a daily/weekly basis.

Also, get one on legs - it stops rats from nesting underneath.

Grockle Tue 09-Aug-11 16:00:23

Wooden ones are prettier but I think plastic are brilliant in terms of keeping them clean. I have 2 Eglus and have never had problems with redmite (despite having 3 battery hens who came infested with mites) and I would worry about that with a wooden coop.

Make sure you get one that is easy to move and is bigger than you think you need. I started with 3 hens and quickly went to 6 & needed a bigger coop. I now have 5 hens in the big henhouse & 2 rabbits in the small one!

MissBeehiving Tue 09-Aug-11 16:55:19

The wooden one is up off the ground and I think that they ventilate better than plastic, so on balance despite the possibility of it being harder to treat for red mite, I'd go for the wood. And it doesn't look like an Anderson shelter

Migsy1 Tue 09-Aug-11 17:02:06

I have an Eglu which is great. However, plastic ones are expensive and I would consider a wooden one if I were to get a new one. The wooden one is bigger and many people who get hens get an illness called morehens disease. This means that you have an uncontrollable urge to get more hens. You can find out more info about this disease on the Omlet Forum. Just do a word search on it.
Therefore, I would buy the wooden one, unless you have plenty of dosh to fund your future illness.

MissBeehiving Tue 09-Aug-11 17:13:37

Ooh <self diagnoses> I think I have a chronic version of the morehens disease, the howmanymorefuckingchickensdoyouneed variant.

EllieorOllie Tue 09-Aug-11 18:43:53

grin at Migsy and MissBeehiving

I think I'm already suffering, I tend to say things like 3 hens to start with, or 3 hens initially.

We do eat A LOT of eggs in this household.

I think I'm sold on the wooden one (prepares to buy industrial quantities of red mite powder)...

Thanks for all the different perspectives, it is most appreciated smile

Migsy1 Tue 09-Aug-11 18:47:02

@ MissBeehiving. How many do you have? I have 7 but if my coop was bigger (I have 4 in an eglu and 3 in a rabbit hutch) I would have more.

MissBeehiving Tue 09-Aug-11 18:49:02

About 70 at the moment blush

EllieorOllie Tue 09-Aug-11 19:48:27

70??!!
Blardy hell...

Migsy1 Tue 09-Aug-11 20:00:34

70 OMG!!!!

What is your favourite breed then?

MissBeehiving Tue 09-Aug-11 20:19:49

I only keep Silkies but they are adorable smile. Friendly, can't fly and a chicken of very little brain. I show them so I breed quite a few - I'll sell off my spare stock in the autumn so will probably come down to about 25.

Grockle Tue 09-Aug-11 20:34:00

Oh., I think I have this too. Mine is the mychickensittersaysNoMoreHens strain. It's manageable most days but the urges are very hard to resist. Perhaps we should have a support thread, since there are a few of us suffering. I always thought I was alone.

I suppose I should count my lucky stars that I don't have space for 70 but I do have space for several more. And I have an empty rabbit hutch...(because the rabbits live in the hen house hmm)

Migsy1 Tue 09-Aug-11 21:48:55

Silkies are so cute. I'd love some but I understand that they are more work than most chickens and need to be kept dry. Maybe one day.
If you want a thread for morehens disease check this out
club.omlet.co.uk/forum/search.php?keywords=%2Bmorehens&terms=all&author=&fid%5B%5D=5&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

NasalCoffeeEnema Tue 09-Aug-11 21:55:29

Misbehiving, do you want some more? I have 15 spare, halfish being female. The males will probably go in the freezer but the females are free to anyone who wants them otherwise they'll go into the freezer too

brambleschooks Tue 09-Aug-11 22:07:29

I have eglus.I started with two hens and now have seven.

And 12 fertile eggs to put under my broody Cochin. Ahem.

Grockle Tue 09-Aug-11 23:12:51

Nasal, do you really have sone spares? I need more hens

My silver Sussex is broody -if she's still like that in a few weeks, I'd live to give her some eggs to hatch

Migsy1 Tue 09-Aug-11 23:59:28

My Speckledy is broody as usual. I think I'll put her in the freezer too

NasalCoffeeEnema Wed 10-Aug-11 09:43:29

You need more do you? grin Yes I do have some. They're nothing special having been an accident but some of them are quite pretty. I'm in Norfolk
a couple of pics if you want any

Grockle Wed 10-Aug-11 11:48:32

Ooo, they're lovely. Shame you're in Norfolk - I need to find a more local supplier to feed my habit but I'm not allowed to buy any more. If I acquired them somehow, it'd be ok. Or rescued them. Or if they just appeared in my garden, it wouldn't be my fault...

Do any of you have talking chickens? When I go outside, Chicky (DS named her!) runs up, squats down and peeps 'hello'. She does - she really does say hello. My mum heard her. I'm not imagining my hens talking to me. Not at all.

mistlethrush Wed 10-Aug-11 11:55:21

I had a hen who used to come up and talk to me - and she asked to be picked up so that she could have a nice safe nap in my arms....

Grockle Wed 10-Aug-11 12:15:39

Aww mistlethrush, that's lovely. Chicky gives me a look that says, 'please stroke my tail feathers' but she doesn't use words other than 'hello'

I love my hens. A bit too much, perhaps blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now