Talk

Advanced search

Chickens arriving on sunday!

(9 Posts)
Pisky Fri 29-Jul-11 20:43:05

They are coming up in a van with, MIL and FIL smile (and DH who has just left to go and pick them up).

FIL is the chicken keeper in the family and has been looking after them for DH since he was given them when he was about 12 (FIL has his own flock too of light sussex). So will have an expert on hand the first week.

They are Black Wyandotte Bantams and are coming with their own coop.

Not sure how many yet - DH hasn't discussed this crucial bit with his dad yet, or what age although I know he hatched out some chicks around easter which should be at point of lay by now.

Garden is almost ready - ground cleared for where their permanent run will be but the area needs re seeding. Will have a movable run until then are dare not free range.

I was wondering how long the grass will need to grow before we can let them loose on it? A year or more? Also would going for something like a wildflower mix give tastier eggs or am I just dreaming!

fidelma Fri 29-Jul-11 22:29:22

My hens have turned their very large run to MUD!!.(5 meters by12 meters)they also roam the field during the day.I would say prepare for mud!! enjoywink

Pisky Fri 29-Jul-11 22:47:12

See - I've told DH is probably pointless seeding it - but he wants to try. I said at least use turf if you want to give it a chance!

Problem is there was lots of rubble dumped there so he want's to cover up the slightly dodgy soil with grass so the chickens don't eat it and put it in our eggs... (man logic wink)

fidelma Fri 29-Jul-11 22:57:40

TIS pointless !

mummymeister Sat 30-Jul-11 16:10:42

Agree with fidelma. prepare for lots of scratching and flinging about and much mud. you will however get so much pleasure from them - forget the grass and just have fun!

Pisky Sat 30-Jul-11 19:59:29

Any tips for introducing 10 week old puppy to said chickens?

Chickens will be in a run but still want to make sure pup OK with them just in case of any accidental meetings in the future!

mummymeister Sun 31-Jul-11 17:07:48

Best tip re the puppy - keep them well apart!

Pisky Tue 02-Aug-11 11:53:15

Well - chickens not bothered by pup and pup not interested in the chickens so all OK.

Chickens will always be in a run (small one at the mo but a large one once built!)

nickelbabe Wed 10-Aug-11 17:36:34

it's not pointless seeding it! grin

i personally would rotate their ground if you have room - have them peck around until that area's goen and then move them to another area.
a lot of the bigger keepers have a house in the middle of a separated run, so they are let out into one run area at a time.

Our lawn looks very messy in parts, but we've had to mow other parts - like they will only ruin one part of it! shock
it is worth re-seeding if you're not letting them out on it all day every day.
(6 months should do it)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now