Talk

Advanced search

no-spill water containers

(11 Posts)
Goldensnitchberry Fri 22-Jul-11 10:21:32

Does anyone have any recommendations - either for one that's so heavy they won't be able to knock it over, or one that attaches to the side of the run/coop or something? Either way, it needs to be bigger than the plastic 1 litre one I have now.
My chooks seem to need to drink loads, but they sometimes manage to kick over their drinker within 5 minutes of me filling it up! This doesn't matter so much at the moment as I'm a SAHM, but I'm going back to work in September and don't like the thought of them going all day without a drink.
Thanks!

MrsDanverclone Fri 22-Jul-11 11:23:26

We hang our water container from the underside of the nest box, by a hook and chain. Our hen house is quite high off the ground now, as we raised it on stilts, because I was obsessed with the idea that foxes and rats would gnaw through the steel plates flooring and attack my girls , to provided extra shelter for them when its raining.

MissBeehiving Fri 22-Jul-11 17:58:28

These are great

mummymeister Fri 22-Jul-11 23:15:27

We use a heavy duty metal dish thing that we fill up every day. chickens perch on the edge and drink from it and it is a hell of thing to try and lift so never gets knocked over.

Goldensnitchberry Sat 23-Jul-11 15:29:12

Thanks all! MrsDanverclone - I think we might try hanging the container, although I'm not quite sure how, as our coop isn't on stilts!

NearlyHeadlessnickelbabe Sat 23-Jul-11 15:33:41

ours is like this

we hang it from a hook on the base of the house (underneath the house, not inside)

in my old house, there was a table in the run, where we hooked it underneath.

they've never spilled it over.

NearlyHeadlessnickelbabe Sat 23-Jul-11 15:34:05

"although I'm not quite sure how, as our coop isn't on stilts!"
but has your run got a roof? or put a table in?

Goldensnitchberry Sat 23-Jul-11 21:13:48

Ooh a table - that's a good idea!

UnSerpentQuiCourt Sat 23-Jul-11 21:49:10

Ours have an old-fashioned metal mop bucket with a hosepipe that runs into it; if it gets low I just turn on the tap by the house. It is too heavy to tip over and I occasionally empty it and clean it out.

DaisySteiner Sun 24-Jul-11 22:44:41

Get an old child's plastic paddling pool which you fill with water and definitely won't get knocked over. You can then get some ducks to swim in it! That's what we did anyway grin

Grockle Sun 24-Jul-11 22:51:09

I have the ones that attach to the run of an Eglu but also one of these:

www.regencypoultry.com/drinkers/PlasticDrinkers/regency_drinker.htm

The chooks love it. They also love drinking my tea out of my mug angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now