Talk

Advanced search

Rentachicken for schools?

(13 Posts)
Olipop Tue 19-Jul-11 18:52:19

Hi, I read somewhere (can't remember where) about a company that rents out chickens to schools and takes them back in the holidays. Google isn't helping (I ended up with 'Rent - a - German'!!!).
Anyone have any ideas?

Olipop Tue 19-Jul-11 19:34:21

bump

Grockle Tue 19-Jul-11 21:44:24

Ooo, I'd love to let my chooks to schools - what a good idea!

Grockle Tue 19-Jul-11 21:44:32

But no help, sorry!

UnSerpentQuiCourt Tue 19-Jul-11 22:19:53

There certainly are companies who supply, at a great cost, fertile eggs and an incubator, and then take the chicks if the school doesn't want to keep them.

VivaLeBeaver Tue 19-Jul-11 22:21:59

You know what they do with the chicks when they take them back?

Olipop Wed 20-Jul-11 06:24:15

They aren't chicks..full sized hens. They take them back during all holidays and then return them. They also offered help with their care and curriculum based worksheets etc. See, I read it in detail but obviously not the wretched website name!!!!!

Hassled Wed 20-Jul-11 06:30:07

Omlet. Implies they'll help get you going, but I can't see a reference to taking them in the holidays. You'd probably find at least one parent/teacher/governor who'd take them, though, wouldn't you?

VivaLeBeaver Wed 20-Jul-11 08:18:46

Sorry, was referring to serpents post about the eggs and incubator.

VivaLeBeaver Wed 20-Jul-11 08:20:40

chartleychucks.co.uk/Schools.html

faverolles Wed 20-Jul-11 08:28:05

Viva - I rent out an incubator and supply fertile eggs etc. Any chicks hatched come back to me after one or two weeks, I then rear them on. Males are dispatched. Females are brought on to POL then sold to be backyard chickens, or I keep them until I can find a suitable home. Nothing goes to auction, as who knows where they would end up.

VivaLeBeaver Wed 20-Jul-11 10:55:05

Favorelles, that's good. I've heard some of the companies cull all the birds Inc the females which I always thought was a shame. I can understand culling the male chicks but was sad that the girls are getting culled when they could be brought on and sold.

UnSerpentQuiCourt Thu 21-Jul-11 22:38:27

Faverolles, considering the price that chicken go for at our local chicken auction, I would assume that it is mainly to people who take it pretty seriously (£7 - £25 each.)
I had wondered about taking in a broody and some eggs ... but don't fancy having to go into work at the weekend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now