Talk

Advanced search

My chicken is very poorly.....please help me?

(21 Posts)
KatyMac Mon 27-Jun-11 19:17:29

She was sat in her nesting box (on 2 eggs) in lots of poo

She is all wet underneath

I have her in a cardboard box with some food & some water; what else should I do?

Cazwa Mon 27-Jun-11 19:43:46

Has she gone broody? Is she eating and drinking normally? Does she seem distressed in any way or unwell? Im no expert but have heard that if they go broody they sometimes neglect themselves because they are spending so long on the nest. If shes really filthy dirty you could try giving her a bath in the sink, but read up on how to do it first. I have a book that explains how to do it but Im sure there will be advice on line.

KatyMac Mon 27-Jun-11 19:50:32

She was breathing heavily, but it was very hot (30)

She seems better now, but still very dirty/wet

A bath

Cazwa Mon 27-Jun-11 19:55:43

Here is a link IVe found to bathing a chicken. My book didnt mention having 3 baths set up, just one, seems OTT. But it gives the gist of it and some useful tips.
http://www.wikihow.com/Bathe-a-Chicken

Ive heard hens pant a lot in hot weather. Maybe she was broody and overheated in her nesting box? Keep her somewhere cool for a while, or a bath will certainly cool her down.

KatyMac Mon 27-Jun-11 20:00:56

Do I put her back with the other one over night?

I have her in a box atm which probably isn't safe (cats & foxes) I did wonder about putting her in the wendy house over night

Cazwa Mon 27-Jun-11 20:10:43

If she seems alright in herself but is just a bit dirty then yes I'd stick them in together. But if you think shes actually really poorly and not just dirty then yes, possibly keep her separate. Saying that my hen was poorly recently and it didn't enter my head to separate her, the other one seemed so well. But with hindsight I should have.

KatyMac Mon 27-Jun-11 20:13:19

She seems to be trying to lay an egg - could it be stuck?

Can we help?

KatyMac Mon 27-Jun-11 20:20:46

Mt friend suggested putting oil by where the egg comes out to see if it helps

Eww

& DD is getting quite upset

Cazwa Mon 27-Jun-11 20:24:00

Google 'eggbound' for advice. It can happen.

KatyMac Mon 27-Jun-11 20:38:36

My next door neighbour thinks she might have been sitting & therefore not eating or driniking

Stupid chicken

KatyMac Mon 27-Jun-11 20:55:36

Her eyes are brighter & she is drinking

KatyMac Mon 27-Jun-11 21:40:13

I have put her in the wendy house & may move her back to her run when it is darker

KatyMac Tue 28-Jun-11 08:34:29

She is still alive

Her head is up & she is drinking & eating rice krispies

But she hasn't stood up & is still very 'wet' looking

mummymeister Tue 28-Jun-11 14:38:07

Check she isnt egg bound. Does she have sticky eyes? how old is she? Chickens normally pant when they arent well i am afraid. egg bound is the obvious one but there are lots of other things they can get. Hopefully she is just gone broody but put her somewhere safe you can keep an eye on her. Hope this helps and good luck.

KatyMac Tue 28-Jun-11 15:48:35

She hasn't got visibly worse or better today

She is back in the wendy house with fresh water & some food (although I'm not sure she is eating) as we have a thunderstorm

hiddenhome Tue 28-Jun-11 22:49:01

I think you need to examine her.

You need to try to find out why she's 'wet'.
Check her vent - is it clean?
Does she have diarrhoea?
Can she stand up, or do her legs seem to be paralysed?

KatyMac Wed 29-Jun-11 08:31:54

I can't see any sign of an egg - but I don't know what a chickens underneath looks like

She has lovely bright eyes & is responding to being stroked.

I don't think she is eating but she is drinking

I have a chicken expert arriving at 1 (I hope)

hiddenhome Wed 29-Jun-11 19:22:21

Okay, I hope that the chicken expert is able to help.

It might help to do some homework on basic chicken anatomy and common ailments. Also, get used to handling your chickens. They can flap a bit, but once you get some confidence you can then give them a basic examination.

KatyMac Wed 29-Jun-11 20:35:29

Oh no we are cuddling all the time; & they love a good stroke

Umm chicken expert is at a loss & talking to a higher up chicken expert grin

She has love bright eyes, her head is up, her comb a good colour

We are wondering if she has had a stroke - one wing & leg seems a bit weak; do chickens have strokes?

hiddenhome Wed 29-Jun-11 22:17:11

They can suffer from neurological problems. I had a chicken who's head used to go round in circles after she'd been scratching.

KatyMac Fri 01-Jul-11 19:38:50

She is head up, eyes bright & eating & drinking; but no walking

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now