Talk

Advanced search

When is a bit of fisticuffs a worry...?!

(2 Posts)
misspollysdolly Sun 26-Jun-11 17:58:09

We are just adding two lovely hens to our existing pair. Things are going relatively well, but our 'boss hen' is pretty annoyed at having her patch invaded and is sporadically causing a scuffle with ones of the new girls in particular. I have just noticed that a little tiny bit of blood has been drawn from her comb and now I am concerned. I have a vague recollection that drawing blood, can lead the dominant chicken to turn nasty. Is this true or a chicken myth...?! At what point should I be concerned? The new chooks don't seem too phased and are taking in all in their stride. We even had a teeny tiny egg from one of them! I have given boos hen a good talking to and have forced her to be submissive to me a few times this afternoon (making her crouch right down) - should I be worrying or trying anything different...?! TIA MPD

mummymeister Sun 26-Jun-11 23:21:18

MPD - this is why it is called the pecking order. others might differ but we just leave ours to get on with it and to sort themselves out but they are completely free range so can run away with it gets a bit nasty. Think that once we may have had to separate out a couple of boys but the girls do generally sort themselves out i have found.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now