Talk

Advanced search

What is wrong with my cockerel

(5 Posts)
kimberlina Fri 24-Jun-11 13:26:15

He is doing the strangest head movements. Basically when he is on his perch, he hangs his head down low and then lolls it from side to side. If I push him off the perch then he'll leave the house and have a wander around. He is eating but not as much as before.

We had a fox attack a few weeks previously and he had a bite wound and lost a spur and some tail feathers but I don't honestly think this is related.

It looks neurological to me.

He is an araucana, about 3 years old.

Any ideas?

The other 4 hens are fine although I did have a sudden death the other day from a 3 year old hen had been laying shell-less eggs. No neuro signs from her so not sure if that could be the same thing

mummymeister Sat 25-Jun-11 10:42:52

How old is he? The hen sounds like she may have been egg bound but as out of 5 you have had 1 die and 1 that isnt well i would consult your vet in case they have an infection that gets passed between them.

MissBeehiving Tue 28-Jun-11 16:35:01

I wonder if it might be crook neck which can either be a vitamin deficiency or neurological. Might also be botulism.

Silkies (which I keep) are prone to crook neck and I'm treating one at the moment as per this. You can ask the vet for the anti inflammatory/ABs. It might be worth a go. All the vits you can get from Boots

nickelbabe Tue 28-Jun-11 16:37:55

i would definitely take that to the vet.

A trip to the vet would be a good idea, I think. It could be an ear infection, a vitamin deficiency or something more serious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now