Talk

Advanced search

Frequent fox visits so it's time to rehome the girls...

(11 Posts)
Atwaroverscrabble Mon 06-Jun-11 20:22:28

a little while ago I was considering rehoming the girls but was persuaded by dh and dh to keep them...

We now have a huge fox visiting the garden in the daytime and at night trying to get the girls, twice today!!

I don't want them to get hurt and I fear the fox is getting closer to that so I have decided we need to find them a safe new home...

mummymeister Mon 06-Jun-11 23:20:46

Have you tried some of the old country remedies. Firstly leave radio 4 on next to the area where the girls are (or similar talk type radio) has to stay on day and night but move it around. Second and this is the gross bit get the men in the household to wee in a bucket and then pour it around where the chickens are cooped or your garden. we did this and hung wee soaked rags around the outdoor coop and it kept him away. Something about the male hormone I think. My friend has a dog and he wees everywhere (as they do) and he has no trouble with Mr F. If all else fails shoot him or have him shot. Not a popular thing to say but he is top of the food chain and you might never rest until he is gone. Easier to do where we live as we are very rural. Oh someone else i know had a garden sprinkler anything to disrupt/scare him off. (i am sure my shoot him comment won't go down well with some so apologies in advance but hey ho that is the way of life)

beachyhead Mon 06-Jun-11 23:23:19

A lot of people near my dad's use a professional fox trapper, who then disposes of them. They've caught over 20 in his fairly urban area...

Punkatheart Tue 07-Jun-11 20:59:27

Fox trapping does not work, alas. When one fox is removed, another will move into the territory very quickly. It's what they do. We have two fox watches and we have used to wee theory - seems to work, as our girls free-range safely all day.

I understand your fears and if indeed you cannot keep them secure, it would be kinder to rehome. What set up have you got re the run? We got a walk in aviary - gives them more space to potter around in the evening - but you could use it for all day....

cadelaide Fri 10-Jun-11 14:49:58

Punkatheart is quite right about killing the fox; get rid of one and another moves right on in.

mummymeister Fri 10-Jun-11 16:05:43

True cadelaide but it takes quite a while for a fox to become used to the area enough to want to come up to the chickens in the daytime. They are vermin. You wouldnt say the same thing if you opened your kitchen cupboard and found it infested with mice. Sorry theres no difference between them in my mind. you do what you can but if the fox has become really bold and nothing else deters him then you shoot him.

Punkatheart Fri 10-Jun-11 16:12:12

I don't think either of us are talking about the ethical question of shooting foxes. It is the choice of the particular landowner to protect their stock. But it is simply a animal conservation reality - I work in the field - killing does not work. Actually it takes less time than you think for a fox to move into the area. They have a large area in which they roam - especially when with cubs, which is the season now. Strong deterrent it actually the only solution - chemicals, fencing, animals protected.

The other factor is that some foxes are less bold than others. So if you kill one that is relatively under control, you may pave the way for another more aggressive creature - ultimately making the problem worse..

cadelaide Fri 10-Jun-11 18:47:11

Punkatheart has it exactly.

Pancakeflipper Fri 10-Jun-11 18:51:32

Our neighbours hens were killed by a fox. The fox bit off their heads and it was a very grim crime scene to clear up.

They have a fox proof run and my neighbour is sent out at night to wee around the run. So far no problems.... And we live backing onto woodland with loads of foxes.

mummymeister Fri 10-Jun-11 21:16:53

I too work in the field punkatheart. i advocated deterrent first but if they did not work then there is only 2 other options one of which is giving your chickens away. I wasnt exploring ethical questions towards foxes - not on this topic site because you only have to clear up after the fox once to have a deep feeling about them.

nickelbabe Sat 11-Jun-11 11:59:16

the only way you can keep the fox out (not away, you'll never manage that) is to make sure your run is secure.
tjhe best way to do that is have a run made with weldmesh of 1cm squares, and all the way round, including a roof, and underneath the run - at least 2ft under, but if you can do the whole underneath that's better.
or put the run on a concrete base.

and never let them out when you're not around (and when I say around, I mean within 5-10 yards of them, so that if a fox comes you can get to them quickly)
ours live right outside our lounge window, so we can see them at all times. In my old house, they lived round the corner, which meant they could never be let outside unless we were outside.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now