Talk

Advanced search

longest incubation?

(13 Posts)
Shallishanti Thu 02-Jun-11 14:31:08

I've had so called fertile eggs under a broody for 26 days....one hatched but didn't survive, what do you think? should I chuck the rest now? she has raised chicks successfully before, and I seem to remember it taking longer than 21 days, but this seems excessive.
will check back later for your words of wisdom, TIA

MissBeehiving Thu 02-Jun-11 20:50:35

I'd chuck them - 26 days is too long.

mummymeister Fri 03-Jun-11 15:36:58

Agree - get rid of them before the warm weather affects them. She may lay a few more.

ChickensHaveNoEyebrows Fri 03-Jun-11 15:38:05

I think they're done. I had a chick hatch on day 24 last month, but the rest were DIS.

MissBeehiving Fri 03-Jun-11 16:20:46

I've had more than nromal amounts of DIS, I think it must be the lack of humidity.

ditavonteesed Fri 03-Jun-11 16:22:25

have you ccandled them? should be able to see what is going on, if they have gone you need to chuck them or they will explode in the heat, but I would deffo candle first just to check.

ChickensHaveNoEyebrows Fri 03-Jun-11 16:24:00

I think it's a humidity issue, too, Miss. Unnaturally hot and dry this year.

Shallishanti Fri 03-Jun-11 23:44:31

what's DIS?
I gave up today--- I think one may have exploded as she was in a real mess with 2 eggs stuck to her sad I had to wash her (not popular)
then I decided to check what had happened, so I cracked open the remaining eggs. One was off and smelt awful. One was just wierdly runny. One had a dead chick in it, apparently full grown sadsad
So of 8 eggs, only 2 fertile and none succesful. Bit pissed off really. I bought them as we have no cockerel (urban). I don't want to get more, it can't be good for her to sit again, surely?

thanks for your thoughts, anyway, maybe the weather is to blame

MissBeehiving Sat 04-Jun-11 06:51:51

DIS is Dead In Shell - basically a fully formed chick that hasn't managed to get out of the shell. I always hate that because it's such a waste sad

I wouldn't let her sit again - they always lose condition when they're broody - I'd let her recover.

I breed exhibition silkies, if you want some eggs, PM me - we always have loads. It might be worth a go, although the post can interfere with hatching rates.

ditavonteesed Sat 04-Jun-11 07:14:39

thats gutting, when I hatched a couple of years ago we had 8 eggs and only 3 hatched, a couple looked like they were full grown, out of the three they were all cockrels so we didnt end up with any of them sad

mummymeister Sat 04-Jun-11 16:39:56

We use a Brinsea mini advance incubator. I know it isnt cheap but it is darn easy that i can use it and trust me i am not normally good with technology. it adjusts everything for you, auto turns the eggs and counts down the days. We have had 3 hatches now and out of 7 eggs have had two 5's and a 6. Currently have 7 eggs in there on day 15 so will be hatching out soon.

Shallishanti Sat 04-Jun-11 21:42:03

thanks for the offer, MissB. We have one silkie, ThingOne (there was a ThingTwo once)- strangely she is laying very well this year, after 3-4 years hardly laying. I have a theory that it's because bossy boss bantam died at Christmas so she isn't so intimidated! Anyway, I think I'll give eggs a miss now and maybe get a few POLs in a few weeks. I was really after some hybrids that would lay well in winter, anyway.
At least I haven't had the cockerel problem!
Silkies are great though!- what colour do you have?

MissBeehiving Sat 04-Jun-11 21:57:24

smile

I have all the standard colours - white, black, gold, blue and partridge. I do love them a bit too much. I have two blue ones drying in my utility room at the moment for a show. The house smells of a combination of wet chicken and shampoo hmm

Hope you get your POLs sorted.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: