Talk

Advanced search

What age to move chicks outside?

(5 Posts)
MrsvWoolf Wed 01-Jun-11 14:22:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsDanverclone Thu 02-Jun-11 14:24:55

I moved my chicks outside when they were 4 weeks old, as they were attempting to escape into the welcoming jaws of one of my dogs!
They still have the brooder to keep them warm if they need it, although I have started turning it off during sunny days. Mine absolutely love it outside and are really enjoying the chance to sun themselves in the good weather.

They aren't at all intimidated by my older hens, who are free range in the garden and spend part of their day, trying to peck at the chicks in their run.

MissBeehiving Thu 02-Jun-11 20:54:53

It really depends on the weather, but because it's dry and warm I've moved my 2/3 weekers outside with no heat. If it gets nippy at night then I move them back under heat.

mummymeister Fri 03-Jun-11 15:40:37

We moved our medium size chickens out at 5 weeks ( they are now 8 weeks old) At 3.5 weeks we moved them into a cooler part of the house then we put them outside a week and a half later. we didnt bring them in at night or provide a heat lamp it was straight outside into an ark. we keep them there until they are around 10 - 12 weeks before they join the flock so that we know that they can hold their own. perhaps thats what the famer was referring to.

MrsvWoolf Mon 06-Jun-11 19:30:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: