Talk

Advanced search

Hen house and run recommendations for three hens?

(9 Posts)
MrsvWoolf Sat 14-May-11 13:31:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Punkatheart Sat 14-May-11 20:27:29

I have both now. Started with an EGLU and loved it ease of cleaning. It's warm in the winter and cool in summer. Fox proof when it is locked. It kept them warm in the terrible snows and has apparently been tested in -10 conditions. There is no denying that it is a fantastic bit of design. We have now bought a wooden coop because we wanted segration for two more chickens. It is pain to clean out compared to the EGLU! There is also a risk of red mite with wooden and it never really looks as clean as the EGLU. The EGLU dries quicker - there are so many advantages!

However - and here's the strange thing - although my girls now divide themselves between the wooden coop and the EGLU to sleep - they all now lay their eggs in the traditional nest boxes of the wooden coop.

Honestly? I like the cute design of the traditional coop but practicality and design for me makes it a winner.

SybilBeddows Sat 14-May-11 20:30:22

I have an Eglu for my 3, have never had a wooden one. I love the fact that you can do a serious deep clean in 10 mins flat & that I can move it around by myself.

wooden ones are very pretty and Eglus are expensive, but I don't think there are any practical advantages to wood.

Punkatheart Sat 14-May-11 20:36:02

Oops I meant to say that the practicality and design of the EGLU make it a winner!

mrsvwoolf Wed 18-May-11 00:23:40

Grockle Thu 19-May-11 11:03:05

Eglu - I have a classic that I need to sell because I upgraded to a Cube. They warned me that chicken keeping is addictive. blush

AlisonJones Thu 19-May-11 13:47:56

We have an eglu too. Never tried a wooden coup, but I'd say an eglu is way easier to keep clean smile

MrsvWoolf Thu 19-May-11 14:51:41

MissFoodie Fri 27-May-11 15:27:42

Grockle, did you sell your eglu????

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: