Talk

Advanced search

Breaking News!!!! Cochin Laying Eggs!

(6 Posts)
midori1999 Wed 08-Dec-10 12:52:38

Yes, that's not a typo, that says eggS, plural. grin

It's not confirmed, so I could be wrong, but I have been getting three eggs per day most days. One from my light sussex hybrid, one from one of the Buff Sussex girls and the only one who could really be laying the third is the cochin, as two are in mid moult, one is an araucana and not laying yet, but her eggs would be blue anyway and the bluebelle, who I thought was laying the third egg, is now in moult too.

Really?! An egg almost every day for weeks? Is it even possible?! shock

(we've had her since the summer when we got her as a year old hen and she has barely laid at all since then, maybe half a dozen eggs tops)

nickeldonkeyonadustyroad Wed 08-Dec-10 16:27:14

only 80% of araucanas lay blue eggs, so it could be her laying (sorry)

and yes, an egg every day for weeks is possible in a first year layer. (but not a cochin, cos they don't lay that many)

midori1999 Wed 08-Dec-10 17:06:07

Thanks. I vaguely remember something like that about Araucanas, I must have forgotten, but she is a bantam, so wouldn't her eggs be noticably smaller even if they weren't blue?

The others have all laid very prolifically, but I didn't expect it from the cochin as I had expected around 120 eggs a year from her at best, especially as she is show bred and so egg production not really taken into account, or is that wrong? They are all in their first year of laying though.

I will have to keep a much closer eye on them. grin

nickeldonkeyonadustyroad Thu 09-Dec-10 11:31:20

yes, you didn't mention that!
very odd.
maybe they've got a friend?

you're right in your assumptions of your cochin, they're bred for beauty not utility.

i'll just go confused and leave you to find out wink

grin

bramblebooks Sat 11-Dec-10 23:34:56

My lovely Cochin is laying, but only 2 or 3 eggs a week, bless her.

saltyseadog Sat 18-Dec-10 12:46:38

One of my brahmas laid some surprise eggs last week. It didn't last but hey!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: