Talk

Advanced search

Got the coop on the allotment, now what do we need?.....

(4 Posts)
dandycandyjellybean Fri 19-Nov-10 13:09:54

and don't say chooks, coz that's a given grin I mean what in terms of mite dust or whatever, feeders, food, etc?

Hopefully getting 3 black rocks, if that helps.

dandycandyjellybean Fri 19-Nov-10 13:31:46

What I'm trying to guard against is doing the same thing as you do when you have your first baby i.e. buy absolutely andything everything you can think of and then use one tenth of it!!!

They will be fairly free range within a large fenced area, with automatic door access night and morning. I will be feeding them veg scraps and bread etc but not sure what the best feed is, how much grit they need, best mit powders/treatments etc, which drinkers/feeders are the best (don't get knocked over/pooped in etc). Any advice would be gratefully received.

MissBeehiving Fri 19-Nov-10 20:31:53

Minimum requirements

Drinker - don't go for a small one because you have to faff about filling them up.

I don't use feeders because I take the food in to prevent rats - I use pans instead. Can use suspended feeders which prevent food getting mucky - but don't leave it out to feed the rats grin

Layers pellets and mixed corn (scratch feed) - and somewhere rat proof to keep them. Mixed grit.

Poultry shield/diatom

Flubenvet

There's a load of other stuff which is essential - mite/lice spray etc but it depends on whether you want organic treatments or something that works is er... not organic. Again, loads of vits/supplements - ACV and Cod liver oil are good and inexpensive

Good luck smile

OhWesternWind Tue 23-Nov-10 07:45:03

We have a big suspended drinker and a suspended feeder to keep the feed off the ground. We are not troubled with rats in the run, but if you were you could take the feeder in at night.

I have a little clip-on pot on the wire (about half the size of a mug) which I fill up with grit. They don't get through a lot.

MissB has pretty much covered the essentials there! I think most makes of layers pellets are pretty similar although there are organic ones if you want to go down that route.

I would really recommend some bokashi bran - I add some to the feeder and also to the bedding - result almost odourless poo (honest). This is pretty high up on my list as chicken poo can absolutely honk!!

I put a bit of cider vinegar in their water as a tonic, and this isn't expensive either.

Enjoy your hens, they are quite addictive smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: