Talk

Advanced search

Where do you buy your layers pellets and how do you store them?

(16 Posts)
Grockle Sat 13-Nov-10 18:39:41

That's it...

If I drive to the farm, they are £8 for 20kg but it's a good 45 minute drive. OR, I can pay £15 at the local pet shop hmm but there must be a good place online to order from.

Mine stay in the sack in the shed but I'm not sure that's the best way to store them. What do other people do?

VivaLeBeaver Sat 13-Nov-10 18:41:58

I go to the local farm shop but its only a 15 min drive for me. I've bought a plastic dustbin and put them in there. So far the mice haven't nibbled through but if they were just in the bag I'd be feeding the mice as well for sure.

ChasingSquirrels Sat 13-Nov-10 18:44:16

£6.50 (I think) for a sack - no idea on the size, from a local horse & pet store.
I store them in a plastic bin with a lid that clips on.

sethstarkaddersmum Sat 13-Nov-10 18:46:37

mine are in the sack in the corner of the kitchen; I don't want to put them in the garage in case of rats.

I buy from local feed merchant, £5 for non-organic, £12 for organic.

SuePurblybilt Sat 13-Nov-10 18:48:14

I pay about a fiver a bag for grain and a little more if I get pellets and mix it all in a big bin with a clip lid. Keep them in the sack and you'll get mice - I wouldn't even do that in my house. But then I have a holey old house grin.

Is there not a feed merchant or farmers coop nearer to you?

VivaLeBeaver Sat 13-Nov-10 18:53:49

I think buying online you'd pay a fortune for delivery and it would work out mroe than the pet shop. Can't you moan at the pet shop about their mark up and see if you can negotiate a price?

SuePurblybilt Sat 13-Nov-10 18:55:28

If you got a bin then it would maybe take two bags so would halve the journey iyswim?
If you can use them quickly enough that is.

Grockle Sat 13-Nov-10 19:04:48

Thanks. I'll keep looking. I was going to get a metal bin to chuck the pellets in but it was £30 and that put me off. Bag is in shed which is new - no mice in there (yet).

Pet shop is a chain so I doubt they'll negotiate price. Will keep hunting, thanks.

SuePurblybilt Sat 13-Nov-10 19:07:05

I have a black plastic one, does the job. I used to have metal ones when I have 5 or more as I could mark them more easily but the metal made my teeth go funny grin.

onessa Sat 13-Nov-10 20:11:47

Online with 'Pet Planet' for all my animal stuff--free delivery if over a certain amount and very quick delivery.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 13-Nov-10 21:25:54

My bin was about £6 from b&q. I've had it 3 or 4 years now with no problems.

Grockle Sat 13-Nov-10 21:52:29

I looked in B&Q! Metal bins £30 shock and plastic ones 15 but have holes in the lid so are no good for keeping feed outside and are too big to go in the shed. Need to have a think.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 13-Nov-10 22:00:58

How about this

www.amazon.co.uk/Sankey-Clip-Dustbin-Black-Litre/d p/B003V1XLV0/ref=sr_1_4?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=128 9685614&sr=1-4

mumtotwoplustwo Sun 14-Nov-10 16:00:13

I bought a metal container from ikea. It doesn't have a tight lid so I leave a brick on top of the lid. I get my pellets from a local farm at £11 for organic.

SparkleRainbow Mon 15-Nov-10 13:51:31

I use a large kitchen pedal bin, a metal one, it works fine for the chicken feed and is neat enough to just tuck in the corner of the quite large chicken shed we have. I have to say I get my feed from the local saddlery, they order in organic for me, so £10 to £12 per bag, depending on layers or growers.

UnSerpentQuiCourt Mon 15-Nov-10 22:25:28

Try asking for a metal bin on freecycle. I got 2 bins that a friend was taking to the tip because they were dented (but totally mouseproof).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now