Talk

Advanced search

We only allow registered charities to be promoted on this Talk board. Please do not post links to crowdfunding or any other unregistered fundraising effort as MNHQ is unable to endorse or vouch for these types of fundraising pages.

Charlie's fight

(11 Posts)
Joyofscreamingjoy Sat 01-Apr-17 20:46:41

I did a quick search and couldn't see anything on mumsnet about this but it is breaking my heart to read what this family are going through.

www.charliesfight.org

The family are in court on Monday where they will find out if their 7 month old boy will have his ventilator turned off & if that happens he will die. They are raising money to have treatment in USA.

I posted in this topic for traffic & hope that's ok.

SallyGinnamon Sat 01-Apr-17 20:51:29

Jason Manford shared that on FB. Very sad.

WannaBe Sat 01-Apr-17 20:55:35

There have been a few of these threads on MN, not sure if they're still around but MN HQ tend to move them to charities as you're not supposed to promote causes on the main boards..

It is desperately, desperately sad for this family, and I wouldn't wish what they are going through on my worst enemy. But the reality is that this treatment is experimental and is unproven. Added to that, the family would need to travel to America with a desperately sick child who might not even survive the journey there.

If the Doctors in the US had any integrity at all they wouldn't be prepared to take over £1m from this family and to exploit their desperation in the name of unproven medicine.

Joyofscreamingjoy Sat 01-Apr-17 21:09:55

Ah I wondered why there wasn't anything when I searched - maybe it gets deleted. I had a quick scan of the rules but must have missed.
wannabe It always comes down to money doesn't it? I'd want to be able to at least try it (as most parents would I guess?) if my child was going to die anyway. It's desperately sad.

Palomb Sat 01-Apr-17 21:12:37

Poor little love has absolutely no quality of life.

WannaBe Sat 01-Apr-17 21:27:03

The thing is though that parents just can't be objective because they're parents and they want so desperately for their child to survive. And this is why the courts so often take over. sad

But if they don't want their child to suffer then that surely also has to include not wanting him to be subjected to an eight hour or more plane journey to the US to be experimented on....

Even if it was free no doctor should be agreeing to this.

Palomb Sat 01-Apr-17 21:28:28

Thankfully, in the U.K Drs are ruled by ethics and not money.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Sat 01-Apr-17 21:32:50

What a beautiful baby. Why is life so cruel. God bless Charlie and his family. My thoughts and prayers are with them.
Of course they want their baby to live. Theyre holding on to hope, which they're entitled to. Wouldn't we all.

DonaldStott Sat 01-Apr-17 21:34:47

I have see lots of people share this and I cannot for one second imagine the pain and desperation his parents are going through. I would move heaven and earth for dd.

The fact that there is a doctor who said he will use experimental methods to prolong this poor babies life, if you cross his palm with silver, makes me fucking sick.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Sat 01-Apr-17 21:39:08

Exactly Donald. Money shouldnt even come into it, should it. Makes you sick and disgusted, doesn't it

LornaMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 02-Apr-17 09:53:11

Hi all,

We're going to send this over to our charities noticeboard now.

Thanks for flagging, Joyofscreamingjoy.

flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now