We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

We only allow registered charities to be promoted on this Talk board. Please do not post links to crowdfunding or any other unregistered fundraising effort as MNHQ is unable to endorse or vouch for these types of fundraising pages.

Please can you help with the DEC East Africa crisis? [Title edited by MNHQ]

(15 Posts)
Achoopichu Sat 11-Mar-17 20:49:52

[l[https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/39238808]

I remember the start of Ebola. Governments didn't take notice for ages.

Now Africans need our help. Every country that would normally give is
in debt. There's only around 6 countries in the world that aren't in debt. No government will give quickly. I think only ordinary people can help.

I'm a single mum and will give £100.

Can we set up something so mumsnet can add to?

Real mums are losing their babies and they are powerless to help them. Surely between us we can help some? So many will die before governments will take notice.

I'm a rather average human being in fact i'm a bit clueless. What can we do?

Achoopichu Sat 11-Mar-17 21:02:20

How do I do link?

Achoopichu Sat 11-Mar-17 21:15:54

I can't work out how to do a link but I know there are some fabulous people on mumsnet that will help

This is just the start. The crisis will grow like the horrific ebola crisis grew. Can we start something between us?

I'm an unbelievably lucky person. Tonight I'm watching Ant and Dec and drinking white wine. i want to help those babies. Yes we can't help all the babies in the world but this is quite straightforward. Food = life. Come on someone better than me. Let's do something.

ImperialBlether Sat 11-Mar-17 21:20:11

Your link didn't work, OP. It's here.

Achoopichu Sat 11-Mar-17 21:23:44

Thank you AB

Anyone else feel we should do something?
If so how? Xx

picklemepopcorn Sat 11-Mar-17 21:29:06

What is it? Can you describe the problem?

Achoopichu Sat 11-Mar-17 21:38:22

One and a half million children are at risk of starvation in South Sudan, Nigeria, Somalia and Yemen.

UN are saying this is the largest humanitarian crisis since 1944.

In a few weeks this will hit everyone. It will be all over the news. We will all feel very bad and many of us will donate. But if we start now we will save more. Can we do something you fabulous prople?

One and a half million. Imagine one.

picklemepopcorn Sun 12-Mar-17 08:39:52

I'm sorry to sound negative, but reading that article the problem isn't money, it is political instability. If you can't get food to people, if armed groups steal, rape murder their way across the land, our financial donations will achieve nothing.
As a country, we make and sell arms which end up in the hands of these groups. Our colonialism contributed to the economic and political chaos. How on earth we put it right I do not know. Though stopping arms sales would be a good start.

Chloe84 Sun 12-Mar-17 08:48:57

I will happily donate to a fund going to a charity working there OP.

Achoopichu Sun 12-Mar-17 13:15:11

I have looked on the DEC website www.dec.org.uk

You can text HELP to 70000 to give £5, or make a larger donation on the website. They have a current Yemen appeal with a very moving video.

I know it's complex in conflict areas but I really think that UK charities need our support to help these people.

I remember the start of Ebola. No one took notice for months until the problem had grown and people had been through horrifying experiences and deaths. I think the same will happen here, and the outcome will be much better if we start earlier.

Governments won't want to commit because they're all trying to pay off debt.

I can't imagine not being able to feed my kids. I'm feeling skint this month but I'll still feel skint next month whether I give or not, and I think it can make a real difference.

Please give what you can.

Achoopichu Fri 17-Mar-17 07:35:59

DEC have just been on TV and say that UK have donated £16million in 1st 24 hours of official appeal which is amazing, but they need a lot more

www.dec.org.uk/appeal/east-africa-crisis-appeal

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39272811

Jane555 Sat 18-Mar-17 06:48:40

Thanks for having posted it here. I know it's more about politics, but I can't affect government/President of a certain state. I am a supporter of philosophy of cultural sintez ( planetaryproject.com/culture/sintez/ ), mutual help and charity. Each of us is a great power when it comes to help and support.

PamplemousseRouge Sat 18-Mar-17 10:24:00

Thanks for the DEC link OP. Have just donated. Just bumping this for you.

Just wondering, is it worth asking MNHQ to perhaps change the thread title just to make it clear what it's about and to have more people clicking on it?

Achoopichu Sat 18-Mar-17 11:13:01

Thanks pamplemousse I will ask. I notice it's a mumsnet campaign too but I think you only see it on the desktop site but not the mobile site.

I think it's really helping that the BBC are focusing on it. But hopefully this thread might reach others too.

It's a depressing state of affairs, but shamelessly asking MNers to look at the link and give what you can, every bit can help

www.dec.org.uk

Achoopichu Sat 18-Mar-17 11:52:16

Thanks MNHQ

Bumping with the new thread title

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now