Talk

Advanced search

Donated to charity or have been deterred from? Student conducting research!

(4 Posts)
lukeferg Mon 01-Aug-16 22:09:53

Hi Everyone,

I'm researching charitable donation, looking to make regular charitable donation between different charities easier.

In no particular order, I’d be interested in knowing some of the answers to these questions:

- Have you donated to charity in the past 3 months?
- Is there anything that deters from you donating to charity?
- How do you decide which charities to donate to?
- How often do you donate?
- Is there anything that prevents you from donating more regularly?
- What is your motivation to donate?
- Is there anything you dislike about the donation experience?
- How do you prefer to give to charity?
- When do you usually give to charity?

Your input will shape the solution I’m looking to build smile

Thanks for you time!

Luke

Improvisingnow Mon 01-Aug-16 23:08:44

Not sure if you are interested in both cash and item donations so I have covered both.

Have you donated to charity in the past 3 months? Yes
- Is there anything that deters from you donating to charity? when donating items it is really difficult to carry much to shops. They would get a lot more if they could collect!
- How do you decide which charities to donate to? (i) ones I have a personal connection of some sort with (ii) proximity of a shop
- How often do you donate? Several times a year
- Is there anything that prevents you from donating more regularly? I prefer not to be on anyone's mailing lists so I always do ad hoc donations.
- What is your motivation to donate? (i) reusing items too good to skip (ii) cash donations tend to be for a particular purpose e.g. I might fund someone at a charity I have a connection with to attend a course the charity wanted.
- Is there anything you dislike about the donation experience? no, though I can never find my donor ID.
- How do you prefer to give to charity? At times of my choosing.
- When do you usually give to charity? irregularly.

BackforGood Mon 01-Aug-16 23:23:58

- Have you donated to charity in the past 3 months? Yes
- Is there anything that deters from you donating to charity? Lots of things. Awkwardness of doing it (not wanting standing orders, for example, not making it easy to gift aid). Also when they harass you after making a one off donation - puts me right off giving to them again. Also if they start getting all political or campaigning on things I don't agree with (obvs. unless it is a political or campaigning charity). Also, when they behave so badly - like McMillan last year paying Google to direct people searching for ice bucket challenge to direct to them and not to ALS / Motor Neurone angry

- How do you decide which charities to donate to? I think we all have things that are close to our hearts - charities that have supported you or your loved ones.

- How often do you donate? I have a few (monthly) standing orders. Also give regularly in memory of people at funerals (in lieu of flowers). Then sometimes for special collections / special appeals / events such as SoccerAid
- Is there anything that prevents you from donating more regularly? Budget
- What is your motivation to donate? Beliefs and ethos
- Is there anything you dislike about the donation experience? When a charity then won't leave you alone. When a charity continually wastes money writing to you.
- How do you prefer to give to charity? Standing order
- When do you usually give to charity? See answers above

lukeferg Wed 10-Aug-16 22:20:23

Thanks for the replies. Focusing on just cash donation, have either of you (or anyone for that matter) made donations online? Would this be a preferred channel?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now