Help us to end pregnancy discrimination

(8 Posts)
MaternityAction Thu 12-May-16 11:32:20

Help us to end pregnancy discrimination

The statistics on pregnancy discrimination at work are shocking. One in nine pregnant women in the workplace will lose their job as a result of unfair and unlawful treatment. Three quarters of mothers at work will experience some form of discrimination or negative experience. Almost half will face difficulties in negotiating a safe working environment.

Join us for a panel discussion on the widespread and growing problem of pregnancy discrimination in the workplace. Drawing on new Government research, our panel will share testimony from women with experience of pregnancy discrimination and debate what needs to be done to ensure a safe and secure working environment for all pregnant women and new mothers. There will be opportunity for debate and discussion and we are keen to hear women's experiences.

We would love as many women as possible to come and show support. Your presence will demonstrate that this is a reality and that politicians need to take this seriously. The event will be child friendly and there will be a place to park buggies. Breastfeeding mums are course warmly welcome! This is much more than just a women's issue so do please also bring along partners/parents/family members.

The event will take place on Monday 23rd May 2016 at 3pm and will be held in the Attlee Suite Portcullis House, Parliament, Westminster SW1A 2LW . Please leave half an hour to get through security).

Please register at www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/pregnancy-discrimination-in-the-workplace-tickets-25318063008

If you are unable to attend but would like to get involved with our campaign work please sign up here www.maternityaction.org.uk/contact-us/

AyeAmarok Thu 12-May-16 11:41:58

Great event. I'm not in London so unable to join but will be watching this campaign with interest.

The problem is that the many ways employers get round the "rules" and screw women over can be so insidious, and they get away with it and know they can.

BorisIsBack Fri 13-May-16 07:22:42

I'm currently being messed around by my manager - I'll follow your campaign but can't get to the event.

Thankyou all at MA for the work you do, it's so important. You are Giants amongst men - thankyou flowers

Totalshambles Sat 14-May-16 09:15:59

Great idea and fabulous campaign! It happened to me. I think a lot of us can say that!

I'll be coming and will bring my baby. ( Also nice opportunity for a nosey around Westminster!)

MaternityAction Mon 16-May-16 12:56:00

Thank you all for your messages of support, we are very excited to see some of you there! If you don't already, join us on Twitter @MaternityAction where we will be tweeting live and sharing news and updates.

Peyia Thu 19-May-16 15:45:20

Just seen this having posted for advice/support for my MAT leave.

I'm going to try my best to attend, not sure if I'll get the holiday at this last minute - although maybe I will once they read my reason for the request wink

Thank you for everything you do Maternity Action flowers

MaternityAction Mon 06-Jun-16 15:03:39

Very welcome smile

Thank you to all who attended, and thanks to Mumsnet too - the event went really well. We will continue to campaign for an end to this appalling situation. Subscribe to our newsletter to keep up with the campaign and any future events!

MaternityAction Thu 27-Oct-16 14:37:35

Thanks so much to those of you who supported us at our last event.

This Saturday we are launching an Action Plan on dealing with pregnancy and maternity-related discrimination - we are hosting it jointly with the NCT.

Details here. We'd love to see you there! www.mumsnet.com/Talk/charities_noticeboard/a2765958-Taking-Action-on-Maternity-Rights?msgid=64504179#64504179

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now