Talk

Advanced search

Car Insurance Claim!!!

(28 Posts)
MollyZH Sat 16-Jan-21 21:28:01

Hi Everyone, I am new to mumsnet and this is my first post.
A few days ago I had an accident (more of a collision) around 4:30ish PM. I was driving and suddenly I felt the car to be a bit unbalanced, a tyre warning light came up on the dash board and within a fraction of second I just lost control (felt like the tyre got busted), I braked and hit a tree on the road side. Luckily there was no other car, person or property involved, it was a very quiet country road. I got out checked the car and tree (tree was pretty huge and looked ok). I really panicked and was scared, I called my partner told him about the accident, he called a mechanic he knows who suggested to call roadside recovery and bring the car to his garage which I did. I came home around 7ish by taxi. Called the insurance around 8ish and informed them about the accident. I then called the police to report it and they said as no one apart from me was involved, no injuries, car is recovered and insurance is informed there is nothing to report, I gave them the location in case they want to go and check anything. They said we have noted the details and that’s it.
Next day the mechanic called after assessing the damage and said it’s better to go through insurance as I don’t have that sort of money (in broad daylight the damage was more then what I thought).
I called the insurance straight away and requested to start a claim, they started the process but now it’s a few days and I feel like they are finding excuses not to pay.
Firstly they said why didn’t I called them from the scene of accident, I checked the policy it states I need to inform them as soon as I can but not mandatory to call from the scene.
Secondly they are saying as the car is quiet damaged why didn’t I call the police on the scene, tbh my initial thought was that as no one else is involved, I have already got recovery on it’s way, I don’t have to call them right now but definitely need to report the incident within 24 hours which I did.
Does anyone think I have grounds to pursue my claim or go to the ombudsman? Or you reckon the insurance is right?
Apologies for the long post. Any comments will be appreciated x.

OP’s posts: |
mum2bin2021 Sat 16-Jan-21 21:34:59

Hi - they have no grounds not to pay, sounds as if they are just being difficult in the hope you'll give up. This is exactly what insurance is for - if they continue to imply that they will not pay, put forward an official complaint to them in writing. The ombudsman will only take on a case if a complaint has been made and it's either over 8 weeks old or the insurance has declared 'deadlock' on your complaint. Do not worry, from what you have said they have zero grounds to refuse payment. I worked in car insurance for 5 years - your insurance company sound awful though so I'd be shopping around at renewal. Glad you're ok! X

DeltaAlphaDelta Sat 16-Jan-21 21:41:58

Sounds like they have a suspicion that you are not being honest about the circumstances, possibly they think you were drunk, or on the phone or otherwise distracted. I've been an insurance fraud investigator for over 10 years and lost count of the amount of people that lose control after "a black dog came out of nowhere and ran in front of my car". I think that your insurance company think that your claim is not honest. If they think that, they will do anything they can to not pay out and you could have a fight on your hands. Depending on the cost of the repairs, I might be inclined to just pay it myself.

MollyZH Sat 16-Jan-21 21:47:56

Thank you for your reply, much appreciated. I hope I don’t have to go down the complaint route and get it sorted x

MollyZH Sat 16-Jan-21 21:54:49

Hi DeltaAlphaDelta, I get your point. But firstly I was coming back from work (I am a key worker) where would I drink at that time and secondly when I had the accident I thought the damage might be not be that much so I got the car recovered, informed insurance (with the intention of not claiming), informed police and only the next day when the mechanic told me the quote for damage I had to do the claim. This is the first time I ever had an accident and I just wasn’t thinking straight and as I said perviously as there was no one else involved I just didn’t felt that I have to call the police there and then. Even when I called them later they seemed very least concerned about it.

DeltaAlphaDelta Sat 16-Jan-21 22:02:50

Hi. I was purely suggesting what your insurer might be thinking. If your coming home from work, they might think you were tired, on your phone, thinking about work, anything that might distract you from driving. It happens to us all, but just giving you an idea of what angle they might be coming from.

SunshineandShudders Sat 16-Jan-21 22:03:25

It's not necessary or normal to call the police to the scene of an accident and it's perfectly reasonable to report once you're safely home IMO. I've reported minor incidents days after the event.

I've been driving almost 40 years and I've had a few accidents in that time, once when the car was written off, but I've never had an insurance claim be anything but entirely straightforward.

DeltaAlphaDelta what is it about this one that would have aroused suspicion, especially if it is OP's first ever claim?

OP are you sure they're not just being thorough/slow rather than actively trying to avoid paying? Insurance companies being thorough saves us all money in the long run.

SunshineandShudders Sat 16-Jan-21 22:05:08

DeltaAlphaDelta

Hi. I was purely suggesting what your insurer might be thinking. If your coming home from work, they might think you were tired, on your phone, thinking about work, anything that might distract you from driving. It happens to us all, but just giving you an idea of what angle they might be coming from.

Being tired wouldn't be a reason for the insurance not to pay. As no other vehicle was involved, the accident is obviously going to be OP's fault but that doesn't make a difference to the payment.

MollyZH Sat 16-Jan-21 22:09:14

Hi DeltaAlphaDelta, appreciate your reply. I see your point but I just feel it’s a bit unfair of the insurance company to not pay. I have paid car insurance for 10 years and never claimed. I don’t drink (I know I don’t have a way of proving it). Always use hands free whilst driving. I have over £1,000 of excess to pay which i am willing to and surely they can respect that I know it will affect my premium and all. But let’s see what they say next XX

LIZS Sat 16-Jan-21 22:13:06

They have a duty to check and validate the claim. I think you are being hasty in your assumption that they intend not to pay out and will need to make a complaint.

DeltaAlphaDelta Sat 16-Jan-21 22:14:01

Insurance companies will do what they can to get out of paying if they can find away of doing so.

MollyZH Sat 16-Jan-21 22:15:16

@SunshineandShudders thank you for your reply. And that was exactly my thoughts as no one else involved let me make all the calls when I am home. I get very panicked in situations like these so I just say in the car with hazzard lights on till the recovery guy showed up and the only call I made was to my partner and the recovery guy to give him the location.
Also I thought that’s the whole point of having a comprehensive cover that you are covered even if it’s your fault. And I called the police within 4 hours of the accident so even if I was drunk (which will be very surprising as the only think I ever drink is Diet Coke lol), the police could have come to my house and do a test but they weren’t even bothered about the accident at all.

MollyZH Sat 16-Jan-21 22:19:31

@LIZS May be your right. I just found it a bit strange that when I reported the accident there weren’t that many questions and then when I told them that I will like to make a claim a day later suddenly a flood of questions. But May be it’s just questions and I am thinking too much about it. I just want the car fixed as this is the only car I have and I am a key worker and it’s proving v difficult to go to work on public transport every day.

MollyZH Sat 16-Jan-21 22:21:02

@DeltaAlphaDelta that’s unfair, considering we pay year on year. Plus I will still take the hit on excess and increased premiums at renewal time. But let’s see, I am just hoping that they pay out.

SuperSleepyBaby Sat 16-Jan-21 22:21:53

I work in claims and this sounds like a standard claim to me - even the circumstances about you organising recovery of the vehicle yourself are not uncommon.

Even if they did have suspicions about why you didn’t report it at the scene- like they thought maybe alcohol was involved - they could not prove it as you were not breathalysed.

SunshineandShudders Sat 16-Jan-21 22:24:41

I think maybe the first call was to log the claim and the second call was to process the claim, so that's where the questions come in.

I honestly don't think you'll have any trouble.

Are you able to get a hire car on the policy?

DeltaAlphaDelta Sat 16-Jan-21 22:26:55

MollyZH

*@DeltaAlphaDelta* that’s unfair, considering we pay year on year. Plus I will still take the hit on excess and increased premiums at renewal time. But let’s see, I am just hoping that they pay out.

Hopefully they will. Just trying to think of reasons why they might be stalling. I've become very disillusioned with the insurance industry and have managed to secure a way out, as insurers try to avoid paying whenever they can. I hope you get it sorted.

MollyZH Sat 16-Jan-21 22:33:16

@SuperSleepyBaby thank you for your reply. I am hoping that it goes through, seriously I have nothing to hide and I have given them all the information. But strangle enough I first report the accident on the police website and based on my answers it said no need to report, I then called the police and they still gave me the same answer.

MollyZH Sat 16-Jan-21 22:34:02

@DeltaAlphaDelta thank you, appreciate it x

MollyZH Sat 16-Jan-21 22:36:01

@SunshineandShudders I am hoping I will get the car hire and hopefully a car seat as well. Because there was one in my car and I believe I can’t use it once it’s been in an accident x

DeltaAlphaDelta Sat 16-Jan-21 22:36:37

The Police response will have little bearing on the insurance side. The Police will be looking for criminal offences, and if there are none apparent they will just close it off and refer it to your insurer. Like credit card fraud, where they just refer it to your bank to investigate. Sorry if I came across like I was doubting you, I wasn't, but Im just trying to think about where they might be coming from. Like I said, I had the industry and can't wait to leave.

DeltaAlphaDelta Sat 16-Jan-21 22:37:19

*hate the industry

jessyjo2 Sat 16-Jan-21 22:45:10

I have experience in claims industry. I suspect its a standard list of questions they need to complete to make sure there is nothing suspicious about incident. Unfortunately there are so many fraudulent claims, insurance companies need to take these steps to protect genuine people paying their policies. I don't think there is anything to worry about.

MollyZH Sat 16-Jan-21 22:51:50

@DeltaAlphaDelta I know dear and you are just trying to see it from the insurances side and I totally understand it xx
I just hope I get this sorted quickly, I am loosing too much sleep on it

MollyZH Sat 16-Jan-21 22:54:03

@jessyjo2 thank you, I hope so too. May be it is the standard procedure but as it’s my first claim ever I think I am just getting paranoid.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in