Talk

Advanced search

Duplicate key

(8 Posts)
BaronessVonCake Mon 11-Jan-21 17:01:18

DP has lost his car key so I need to get mine copied for him.

It's a Nissan car and a smart key- one of those where the door opens when the key is near and the ignition starts if the key is in the car - without you using a bladed key.

Nissan garage has quoted us£284 for a copy of my key 😱 and said we have to have it done at a Nissan place as it's a smart key and needs specific programming to work with our car.

Anyone know if this is correct or can other people like auto locksmiths copy smart keys - and at a cheaper rate?!

Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
Otherpeoplesteens Tue 12-Jan-21 14:46:43

This strikes me as cheap. I was quoted over £800 for a Fiat key (not even keyless entry) about 15 years ago.

BaronessVonCake Tue 12-Jan-21 20:08:21

£800 shock

Maybe I should stop complaining then!!!

happinessischocolate Tue 12-Jan-21 20:33:03

Yep it's a lot of money compared to when you could just go get another key cut but that's how much they cost. As pp said be gratefull, as there's some which charge even more 😲

BaronessVonCake Tue 12-Jan-21 21:51:05

Thanks for replying, good to know what I'll be paying is normal (or even cheap!)

Baileysoncereal Tue 12-Jan-21 21:55:51

My insurance covers it, may be worth checking yours

LaurieSchafferIsAllBitterNow Tue 12-Jan-21 21:58:11

i'd make sure he'd done at least £250 quids-worth of actual proper looking for the key before shelling that out!

happinessischocolate Tue 12-Jan-21 22:47:50

LaurieSchafferIsAllBitterNow

i'd make sure he'd done at least £250 quids-worth of actual proper looking for the key before shelling that out!

Good point, has he asked St Anthony?

I couldn't find my keys for days so did the st Anthony prayer and within minutes remembered Id recently worn a completely different coat to my usual one, and it was now back in the wardrobe, quick rummage in the pockets and voila my car keys 🤷‍♀️

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in