Talk

Advanced search

Punctured tyre, do I need to replace both?

(16 Posts)
dandelionsticks Wed 16-Dec-20 08:11:32

Discovered another flat tyre on our car. Gutted because this is the third time, on a different wheel, in about 24 months. Each time with no obvious cause. We sometimes wonder if someone is deliberately puncturing the tyre or whether the amount of nails and sharp construction debris from the never ending building works on the road where we live is the cause.

We've been told that if we change one tyre, then we should always replace the tyre on the same axis. To ensure that treads are even otherwise it might affect handling and braking when driving. We followed this advice the first two times. One punctured tyre but both front tyres were replaced. Twice. To a considerable cost sad

Now the back tyre is flat. What do others do IRL? I'm told I should replace both back tyres but is this actually what everyone does? Obviously, don't want to make the car unsafe as I drive the kids in it. Equally, it's always the garage telling me and the tyres for this car are £200 each (mid range).

OP’s posts: |
SnowySheep Wed 16-Dec-20 08:45:17

I only know that my dad always has, but he'd rotate tyres so the wear is even. So if one of your pair is almost new he'd replace one of the partially worn ones with it.

Also, most nail damage to tyres can be repaired, they only usually need to be replaced if it's in the sidewall, which would be unusual.

DreadingSeason2020sFinale Wed 16-Dec-20 08:50:40

We never have. We also pay around a tenner for a tyre repair. Most punctures that occur on the main part of the tyre and not the edge or side can be repaired for a fraction of the cost. It's funny that the ones making the money off the tyres are the ones advising you replace a perfectly in tact tyre. I'm assuming they keep these working tyres good don't they?

CruelAndUnusualParenting Wed 16-Dec-20 11:38:47

I normally replace single tyres. If there's only a few mm difference in the tread I wouldn't expect it to be noticeable. The suspension has to deal with much bigger differences in vertical tyre position due to uneven road surfaces and road camber. I would avoid having one nearly new tyre and one badly worn tyre, but one new tyre and one slightly worn tyre wouldn't bother me at all.

CeeceeBloomingdale Wed 16-Dec-20 11:46:06

Only one at a time here, I wouldn't waste money on replacing something unnecessarily

Carrotcakey Wed 16-Dec-20 11:48:21

One at a time unless the other one is also low on tread.
Have you had your wheel alignment checked?

Changi Wed 16-Dec-20 11:56:20

OP do you drive close to the kerb? Most of the rubbish on the road ends up in the gutter.

I stopped using one particular road after two punctures in as many weeks. On both occasions they were caused by lost horse shoe nails.

LilyLongJohn Wed 16-Dec-20 12:31:03

Firstly ask if the tyre can be repaired rather than replaced.

You can put different tyres on the same axel, unused to all the time, but a lot of places say you shouldn't. Can you not buy the same make and model tyre that's already on there?

nitgel Wed 16-Dec-20 12:35:26

Are you sure it not the valve

tommika Wed 16-Dec-20 12:39:24

I’ve never had multiple tyres replaced unless there was another reason such as replace tyre x due to the damage, and recommended to replace tyre y that’s getting low on tread - whether now or to keep an eye on it depending on my mileage etc

What I have had done is to rotate tyres around, for example with a rear flat getting the new tyre fitted up front and the front tyre switched to rear (on the basis of the best tyres operating the steering)

thenightsky Wed 16-Dec-20 12:42:23

I've always paid about £10 to £15 to get it repaired, although usually it turns out to be a faulty valve, rather than an actual puncture in the rubber. Can't remember the last time I had an unfixable puncture.

Sprig1 Wed 16-Dec-20 12:45:22

Can they definitely not repair the tyre? Are you buying decent quality tyres?

Buzlightyear1 Wed 16-Dec-20 13:03:34

I used to work in a garage and no you definitely don’t have to do this. Also depending where the puncture is it maybe able to be repaired . So do check that.

Elai1978 Wed 16-Dec-20 13:12:19

It’s certainly advisable to replace in pairs unless both are very new and you’re replacing like for like. On certain cars it’s absolutely imperative that all 4 be kept at the same tread level and type to avoid damage to the transmission. Take a look on Tyreleader and Oponeo to see what you should be paying for tyres, add a tenner each for fitting and that should give you a good indication of whether you’re being ripped off or not.

Changi Wed 16-Dec-20 17:13:40

On certain cars it’s absolutely imperative that all 4 be kept at the same tread level and type to avoid damage to the transmission.

That only applies to four wheel drive cars though and then not all of them.

Elai1978 Wed 16-Dec-20 20:13:59

That only applies to four wheel drive cars though and then not all of them.

Hence I used the words “certain cars”

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in