Talk

Advanced search

Similar sized car to replace VW Golf?

(19 Posts)
Yika Sun 22-Nov-20 19:56:55

I'm looking to replace my Golf with a new car. I'd like a car of a similar kind of size, easy to park and with a good-sized boot. We (just me and my 10-year-old) live in a big city without a garage, but use the car for a longer journey once a week and then and occasionally for long road trips. I like my Golf but I've had two and now I want a change. Emissions are also an issue - not sure whether I should go for a hybrid or buy a petrol now and wait for electric infrastructure to be more widespread in a few years' time. Any recommendations?

OP’s posts: |
LouiseTrees Sun 22-Nov-20 22:33:50

Seat Arona

RosesAndHellebores Sun 22-Nov-20 22:36:24

Honda Civic, Mercedes A class

WisestIsShe Sun 22-Nov-20 22:41:15

Buy a Ford. I have one and love it. It's my second and I when it was time for a newer one I just wanted the same thing. It feels well built, good design, everything in it works, good level of spec.
Everyone I know who has bought a ford loves it and wouldn't trade it for anything else. None if us have ever had any mechanical issues. DH, DB and DF all have one. I particularly love the heated windscreen so no bother on frosty mornings, and my sliding doors.
It sounds like I work for them (I don't) but it is lovely to have something that works exactly as it's supposed to, and looks smart too.

madasamarchhare Mon 23-Nov-20 08:28:37

Audi A3, Mercedes GLA rather than an A class. A little bigger and more comfy slightly higher driving position which is an advantage.

OllysArmy Mon 23-Nov-20 08:31:22

Not the GLA it is horrible to park. Well that’s what I found when I drove one for 3 months.

BobbinThreadbare123 Mon 23-Nov-20 08:34:40

Mazda 3 - you have one with all of the bells and whistles for less than an Audi/Merc/BMW/VW. Servicing is cheaper than those in general too. Decent sized boot, heated seats, Bose sound system and they are quite nippy. Nice, big, unstressed, naturally aspirated engine, so no turbos to go funny!

JaJaDingDong Mon 23-Nov-20 08:36:33

Ford Fiesta.

MiaFarrowsWheelbarrow Mon 23-Nov-20 08:53:46

Ford Fiesta definitely but spec up if it's in your budget.

Lonelycrab Mon 23-Nov-20 09:00:31

Got a mk9 Honda Civic and it’s been pretty decent. Not the best rear visibility but many models have parking sensors. Reasonably nippy (1.8 petrol), mega reliable and does 41 mpg without the eco turned on. The biggest boot out of all the competition, it’s huge.

BobbinThreadbare123 Mon 23-Nov-20 10:18:03

Honda Civic is also a great choice. The boot is certainly capacious! I've had the 2.2 L diesel version in the past and it was a cracker. Also, since the design of them is quite unusual (and they used to do some nutty colours) you never lose it in the sea of grey/black/white dull-mobiles in a car park!

Dawnlassie Mon 23-Nov-20 18:46:37

Whats the budget? Sort of hard to offer suggestions without that.

Yika Mon 23-Nov-20 19:46:33

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, a couple of these were already on my radar. I've loved driving a Fiesta in the past when I've had it as a rental car for example but I wonder if it's too small? Will definitely look into it as well as the Civic and the Mazda. I don't think I would go for an Audi or Mercedes since I don't have a garage and don't want anything too posh.

I forgot to mention budget! It isn't particularly a constraint but I don't want something either too budget or too high-end. Mid-range, good value and reliable basically.

flirtygirl Mon 23-Nov-20 19:58:24

Ford b max, cheap to repair and maintain, affordable, reliable. More space than a fiesta. Also great fun to drive.

CottonSock Mon 23-Nov-20 20:01:05

I love my Mazda cx3. The boot may be smaller than a golf, but it's beautiful, fast and reliable..probably not eco

NatMoz Mon 23-Nov-20 20:06:13

We wanted a VW Golf but due to the brand it meant we were paying more.

Instead we opted for a Seat Leon which has the same interior as a VW but with a different 'lid' or casing or whatever you want to call it.

My husband drives company cars for work but says that the Seat Leon is the smoothest car he's driven.

Yika Mon 23-Nov-20 20:16:07

Will look into both the Seat suggestions. I hear good things about them!

Is the Ford b-max still being made? I will check it out. A plus for Ford is that there’s a showroom less than 100 yards from my house!

My mum had a Mazda and she loved it. Very sporty.

opinionatedfreak Fri 27-Nov-20 20:37:42

Skoda Scala?

Not driven one but love my Fabia.

It's also VAG so will probably be really similar to a Golf but have more toys at the same price point (eg. my Fabia has a brilliant touchscreen, bluetooth, phone connective stereo - My SILs polo which is the same age, and a higher spec doesn't).

Yika Sat 28-Nov-20 21:07:57

I hadn’t heard of the Scala, thanks for the tip. The boot is vast!!! Definitely a contender.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in