Talk

Advanced search

Fiat 500 Dualogic

(15 Posts)
supercee Thu 05-Nov-20 19:25:28

Was anyone as stupid as me and thought it was a run of the mill automatic but after some research (which I should've done beforehand, and with no test drive, I know I know) and realised it's not?!

I've wanted one for ages. I read up loads (honest). Took the plunge and when trying to reverse for the first time thought 'hey why is it still going forward'. Waiting on my usual steep street in traffic and there was roll back!

I passed in a manual 11 years ago and hated every minute of learning. Haven't driven one since (or had a regular car to be fair) but have only driven automatics and love them.

It's only day 1 of brand new car. Can I teach myself to get over these obstacles and learn to drive the sodding thing or is it regret city from now on?

OP’s posts: |
Elai1978 Thu 05-Nov-20 21:50:11

Robotised manual gearboxes aren’t great, especially down the cheaper end of the market. You just have to learn to drive around the issues and it’ll become 2nd nature.

Dawnlassie Sun 08-Nov-20 00:59:20

No testdrive....
WTF?

LizB62A Sun 08-Nov-20 01:13:23

My sister leased a car without test driving it - that was over 2 years ago and my car-mad son still hasn't forgiven her for that and reminds her every time she moans that there's something she doesn't like about it grin

Never ever ever get a car without a test drive

supercee Sun 08-Nov-20 09:04:11

Yes, well aware of that now wink

Miljea Sun 08-Nov-20 09:07:19

My DH's car has got a flick switch for a handbrake (Mazda 6).

I just can't get on with it, to the point if I have to drive it, I plan a route that avoids proper hill starts.

Elai1978 Sun 08-Nov-20 19:11:40

My DH's car has got a flick switch for a handbrake (Mazda 6).

I just can't get on with it, to the point if I have to drive it, I plan a route that avoids proper hill starts.

You literally just pull away, don’t touch the parking brake at all, it will release automatically. It couldn’t be any easier!

Miljea Sun 08-Nov-20 20:07:23

It's wrong on every level!

Mariebarrone Fri 13-Nov-20 20:29:46

I love my fiat 500 duologic. You will get used to it, honestly.

Dawnlassie Sat 14-Nov-20 12:38:49

You literally just pull away, don’t touch the parking brake at all, it will release automatically. It couldn’t be any easier

Rather than metaphorically pulling away?

OhamIreally Sat 14-Nov-20 12:45:53

I have one and hadn't realised the implications of it being a roboticised manual when I bought it. I learned to drive in a manual and subsequently drove automatics. I was really shocked at the roll back but just applied the principles of a manual- lots of handbrake use. It's a week since you posted I bet you're getting used to it already!

GinandGingerBeer Sat 14-Nov-20 14:02:17

I had one and hated it. I was ok with the handbrake but found it useless In slow traffic especially going downhill. It also struggled uphill. Full stop!
Can you give it back?!
I have an auto mini now and love it.

Elai1978 Sat 14-Nov-20 17:43:26

Rather than metaphorically pulling away?

As opposed to pulling away whilst pissing about with a handbrake during a regular hill start.

OhamIreally Sun 15-Nov-20 10:19:04

@GinandGingerBeer you're right it does struggle uphill. I didn't go for the mini because it didn't qualify for the low emissions discounts on residents parking/ULEZ at the time I was looking.

supercee Tue 17-Nov-20 13:22:08

Can't give it back unfortunately. Massive lesson learned!

I'm slowly getting used to it but haven't actually driven very far in it (lockdown probably wasn't the best time to get a car) or navigated big hills.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in