Talk

Advanced search

Car - not too low, not too high!

(13 Posts)
OllyBJolly Tue 22-Sep-20 21:30:25

DH and I share one car between us on a lease agreement as we get a great deal via his work.

Last two years we've had an Audi A3. His 82 year old mother struggles to get in as it's low. He wants to get a Q3 but I think that will be too high. Neither of us are really that fussy although I (usually- not at the moment) do a lot of long journeys often on difficult roads (Scottish Highlands/Yorkshire). We do around 15k miles per year and 13k will be my work. So driver comfort does matter to me. Cost is less important; we live reasonably frugally other than our wine bill

Any suggestions for a nice comfy car that MIL can get in and out? She's due a hip operation this year so there is likely to be a lot of ferrying around.

OP’s posts: |
Octopuscrazy Tue 22-Sep-20 21:51:43

Sorry I don't have any recommendations but if you go for a high car you can get a foot step thing installed.

Elai1978 Tue 22-Sep-20 22:18:30

MINI Countryman maybe?

babypossum Tue 22-Sep-20 22:20:38

Mazda CX5?

DreamingofItaly Tue 22-Sep-20 22:30:30

Can you take MIL to the garage and see how she manages with the Q3? Or borrow one on a test drive to check? They're super comfy cars. I've had similar for years and my 80+ year old grandmother hasn't had trouble getting in/out...she's found it easier than getting into my sister's VW Golf.

OllyBJolly Tue 22-Sep-20 22:57:21

We have to make a quick decision and she's in a lockdown area so don't think a "test"is possible. Glad to hear you find it comfy @DreamingofItaly

Should have mentioned @Elai1978 that we regularly ferry DGS and DNephew around so need a reasonable size of car. Mini might be small.

Think a MazdaCX5 might have same issues as the Q3 @babypossum? I did have a Mazda 6 for a good few years and it was a great car.

Not sure we'd be allowed adaptations on a lease car @Octopuscrazy

Thanks everyone for your input - very much appreciated.

OP’s posts: |
delilahbucket Tue 22-Sep-20 23:09:08

We have a Ford Focus Active. It's a bit higher than a standard car, but only a bit. You notice the difference when you're driving, but not when getting in and out. Very comfortable and really nice to drive. Lots of internal space and built well. We've had it a year from new and have been really pleased.

Nat6999 Tue 22-Sep-20 23:17:15

Seat Leon, the new model has extra room in the back, the 1.5 TSI 150 engine is nippy & economical, you get lots more equipment than you get in Audi or VW for a lot less money.

Goingunderground2 Wed 23-Sep-20 00:08:13

Mini Countryman. The boot has a false bottom that's easily lifted. I can get the double pushchair in bugaboo I'm easier than in my partners estate. Brilliant car

Elai1978 Wed 23-Sep-20 07:22:14

we regularly ferry DGS and DNephew around so need a reasonable size of car. Mini might be small.

Loads of room in a Countryman

NastyBlouse Wed 23-Sep-20 07:46:18

A Q3 isn't that high up off the ground. But it's not the most spacious thing -- probably not much different for interior space than an A3.

A raised estate might be worth a look: Volvo V60 Cross Country, or Subaru Outback.

MotherForkinShirtBalls Wed 23-Sep-20 07:49:08

The Peugeot 3008 might fit the bill. The sales guy told my mum it was the "new hip" car. Not that it's cool, but when his customers get a new hip, it's the car they prefer wink. Mum doesn't have a new hip but she loves the Peugeot.

OhTheRoses Wed 23-Sep-20 07:51:39

Honda CRV?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in