Talk

Advanced search

Costs of a cheap second-hand car

(2 Posts)
Justpassingtime1 Sun 20-Sep-20 15:36:22

We just want a run around for local jobs, shopping etc.
We also possibly want it for dc to do some driving practice in
but not obligatory
We have seen cars for under £1000 which is ok as long as
it lasts 2-3 years.
We can afford max £150 per month running costs
Insurance, mot , petrol, tax etc
Thanks

OP’s posts: |
BF2748 Sun 20-Sep-20 21:50:32

Peugeot 107 and similar from other manufacturer have £20 per year tax cost, very low group insurance, price will be low but obviously depends on your information. I never had any issues with mine and it was 8 years old when I sold it. Will be good for you DC to learn in, and insurance for them would be pretty low too. In terms of fuel depends on how much travelling but I used to fill it up completely for around £40 and would get around 500miles to it. This may well change now and age fo car etc.

In terms of mot the cost in my area is around £30 for the test but what I used to do is set a budget for my car each month and put it in a separate account. This covered my insurance, fuel etc but there was extra going in for It then covered things like tyres, wind wipers, etc and would’ve covered things at the mot if I needed them but never did. I’d highly recommend it your budget is £150 to put that aside each month and then when you’re mot is due there’s money already for whatever it may need.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in