Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant and in need of a family car... what car do you have?

(38 Posts)
mamabear7 Tue 05-Feb-19 15:20:17

Hi all,

I'm only a couple of months pregnant but trying to think ahead so I'm not trying to do stuff at 30+ weeks! I've sadly accepted that my trusty, wonderful Fiat 500 just isn't going to work easily with a baby. 3 doors, can't fit a car seat easily, tiny boot.. you get the idea.

I am wondering what well-priced cars you have that work with your children? It needs to fit a Maxi-Cosi Pebble (my friend is selling me her new unused seat and isofix for cheap!) and still have leg room for the front seat. smile

I'm hoping for something not super expensive or massive! I don't like driving big cars so I'm not after something like a Nissan Qashqai as I wouldn't feel comfortable driving something so big. My thought was a Ford Fiesta or Ford Focus - not sure how they are size wise though, in terms of boot or baby car seats?

Please share with me what cars you/your family/friends have, do they work well for a family, how is the boot size, etc etc?

Thank you so much! smile

Singlenotsingle Fri 08-Mar-19 03:16:06

Citroen C3 Picasso. Big windows, high seats, big boot, and it's a good looking car

ashvivienne Fri 08-Mar-19 02:51:17

DD2 has a 5 door Corsa SE we can fit DGDs stokke xplory in the boot with the seat unit or carrycot and with the car seat and isofix - kiddy evo Luna I size there’s room for front passengers. She has a 16 plate so it has apple car play in it and it also has heated seats up front too which is nice

NicksWife08 Sun 17-Feb-19 10:16:30

We had a 2013 vauxhall astra when ds was born. That model was great, surprisingly massive inside. We frequently went away with everything but the kitchen sink and it also fitted 3 across the back even with the car seat. Incredibly reliable and so cheap on fuel even though it was a 2 litre diesel.
I now drive a bus because we had more children, but I loved that car and would have another.

LoopyLu2019 Sun 17-Feb-19 10:02:11

It sounds like you need a reasonable hatch back. So depending on your budget I'd be looking at vauxhall astras, vw golf, ford focus, Volvo v40, mini clubman or countryman, Audi A3, skoda octavia, Kia Rio etc. With this size car you probably want a 1.6-2ltr turbo (smaller than a 1.6 will feel sluggish to get going with this size body). Now because you're looking at a family car, it's in your interests to consider the euro ncap safety rating of these cars. For example the fiat punto has a 0 rating which is ridiculously low and shocking. I would not touch this car with a barge pole. Now the next important thing to you is functionality. For this I would find 10 models in your price range and look at the car wow practically reviews. This will go through things like boot space, storage etc. From this, and their driving reviews you can probably short list 4-5 cars. Now go test drive and ensure you ask to take your car seat and try installing it. Now you'll know which one you'd like to drive the most. Now you can look for best deal to suit you. If you're buying 2nd hand be careful of the cars history. Try to buy from a dealer that offers warranty. 2nd hand kias are great for still being in extended manufacturers warranty.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Sun 17-Feb-19 07:52:55

We just rented a fiat 500 for 3 weeks and the boot is surprisingly big. Bigger than I recall in my ford Ka which we managed with fine until ds2 came along. I think the main issue would be getting baby in the car seat with no rear doors.

We have just bought a mini clubman which has a great boot size, 5 doors and lots of room in the back.

Scienceforthewin Sat 16-Feb-19 19:40:02

I love my c3 Picasso (and hated my Fabia Estate - engine underpowered, too low for getting kids in car seats, plus I had gear trouble). What about a fiat 500xl ? Similar to the c3 Picasso afaik.

sweatybettee Sat 16-Feb-19 19:36:11

I had a Ford fiesta with my first which was fine (not 3 door though!) but when expecting my second I was trying to choose between a Ford C max and Mercedes B class. If you can afford the bit extra the B Class is great, way more room inside than the cmax somehow and nice and roomy!

arkela Sat 16-Feb-19 19:31:45

Honda CRVs are terrific crossover cars. I've had many different kinds and this was by far my favorite. It was only when baby number three came along that I had to get something bigger.

BlueChampagne Fri 15-Feb-19 12:52:17

We had a Citroen C3 till the kids were about 6 and 4. Then a Skoda Fabia. You don't really need a big car, but 5 doors does help! Don't forget about roofboxes!

Bryjam Thu 07-Feb-19 11:44:04

Skoda Octavia. Biggest interior in the world but still a normal size car for parking etc and not crazy expensive.

Second this. The Octavia should be on the 'must look' list.

BelfastSmile Thu 07-Feb-19 11:37:53

I have a Toyota Corolla, which is fine. It's a bit awkward getting the pram into the boot, but it's doable - I don't do it often, though.

I had a 3-door before, when I just had DS, and it was ok but a bit awkward - particularly in car parks, as the door on a 3-door is bigger and you have to open it pretty much fully to get a car seat in or out.

It depends how you're going to use it too... DH has a Toyota Argo which could fit 2 car seats in the back and do the job, but doesn't fit the pram - does take the buggy, though. But he can use it for the kids now that they're older (DD sometimes needs the buggy, but not usually).

lovewatchingrainfall Thu 07-Feb-19 11:26:59

We loved our ford focus could fit loads in it.
I am however currently using my husband's fiat 500 and can easily fit my daughters nuna rebel plus car seat and I have a mamas and papas zoom which fits in the boot. I am sure the boot is bigger then you think.

cv01jw Thu 07-Feb-19 11:23:03

I can second the Suzuki Vitara. Size wise it is no bigger than a Focus (possibly a tad smaller) but it has plenty of space inside and a decent sized boot.

If you can find a preregistered one you can also get a bargain.

RockinRobinTweets Tue 05-Feb-19 20:37:58

We have a focus - the passenger seat is very far forward with an isize seat in the back. We’re looking for something bigger and are considering a Toyota avensis, Hyundai i40 or Skoda Octavia

buginarug Tue 05-Feb-19 20:25:44

Suzuki Vitara. Compact SUV so not too big, lovely to drive (the newer model has a turbo charged engine), large boot. It's perfect for me and my 2DC; I love it.

MrsBosh Tue 05-Feb-19 19:04:46

I have a Fiesta and can't fit the chassis and seat (together) in my boot. I have a Silver Cross Wayfarer. I also can't fit in my nornal size umbrella buggy so have to drive with that in the passenger seat.
I'd like a bigger car so although I love my Fiesta I would say it wasn't great for baby.

MichelleM30 Tue 05-Feb-19 19:00:36

Aw I loved my wee fiat 500, they are such great cars. I didn't have that when I was pregnant so wasn't a worry. I had a Peugeot 208, small but cld got the prom and was a five door.

I've just leased a Honda Civic SR, the boot is amazing. We had a look at Kia ceed and I wasn't that impressed with the boot. The civic boot can fit 2 full size suitcases and is roomy inside. I also love it on the outside too so I wld recommend. My husband had a Mazda 3 and that's also a good size family car.

Hemlock2013 Tue 05-Feb-19 18:56:11

Ford C-Max here. Feels lovely in a medium car size kinda way. Loads of room for all the rubbish you plus kids have. X plus dog...

PaddingtonMare Tue 05-Feb-19 18:53:57

We have a focus, which has been brilliant. One of the biggest boots for a hatchback (I had a massive M&P pram) and great for camping trips. I’ve done two car seats and a passenger in the back but it’s tight.

The car has a fluffy carpet (why?) which entangles sticky sweets and hides Lego - not brilliant.

Also - keep a tub of bicarbonate of soda in the car when you have little ones to soak up spills and liquids of all sorts and neutralise smells until you can give a proper clean grin

fairypuff Tue 05-Feb-19 18:47:36

*Kia

fairypuff Tue 05-Feb-19 18:47:20

Just gonna throw the Lia C'eed into the mix. Great boot size, roomy in the back, affordable and extremely dependable. 7 year warranty too. Have had a kia for about 8 years now (2 c'eeds and now a sportage).

GemmeFatale Tue 05-Feb-19 18:43:52

Another one voting for the i30. Its on our short list for a second car if we can’t manage with our current sharing arrangement once baby arrives

PotteringAlong Tue 05-Feb-19 18:42:13

If you want a fiesta size, don’t get the fiesta, get the B-max with the sliding doors. Honestly, they are amazing with car seats. It’s basically a fiesta that’s higher up and the sliding doors make it. I think they do a C-max version with sliding doors if you wanted slightly bigger.

TeenTitans10 Tue 05-Feb-19 18:34:03

Vw golf-- has a surprisingly large boot. Loved mine until I got to 4, now I drive a transporter 😁

bruffin Tue 05-Feb-19 17:39:12

I30 is a tardis of a car

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »