Talk

Advanced search

Speeding - Scotland

(5 Posts)
asblackasyoursoul Wed 23-Jan-19 22:42:52

Hi, I've just received a letter from the police stating I was doing 41mph in a 30 zone, the offence happened 3 days ago. I'm 19 years old, been in no trouble before this at all. It was my first time driving long distance, it was 7pm at night and I was driving home. I know excuses have no merit though.

I've only passed my driving test less than 2 years ago and if I get more than 6 points I have my license taken off me. I can deal with just this one offence, but I'm really worried if I speeded on other roads and have more letters sent to me. I had been driving long distance since 1pm that afternoon and the offence was at 7pm, so surely any offences before that time would have also been stated? And would all offences be in one letter, not separate ones? Thank you, just really worried

HirplesWithHaggis Wed 23-Jan-19 22:48:22

You would get separate letters for each time you were detected speeding.

You should be worried.

Dontstepinthecowpat Wed 23-Jan-19 22:51:37

No all offences would be separate and if you were driving over 6 hours in Scotland you obviously passed through many different detection areas so each area will take a different amount of time to process tickets. Usually within 2 weeks though. Do you think you were speeding more than once?

Craft1905 Thu 24-Jan-19 13:49:15

I've only passed my driving test less than 2 years ago and if I get more than 6 points I have my license taken off me.

You don't need more than 6 points, just 6 points. And it's licence.

WhenLifeGivesYouLemonsx Fri 25-Jan-19 16:30:28

Most likely you'll be offered a speed awareness course which you pay £100 I think? You will not get points on your licence if you do that.

Whether that's an option in Scotland, I'm not sure? It's not more than 6 points. If you clock up exactly 6 points, you've lost your licence and you'll have to retake the test again.

It is a shame but I'm sure you've learned your lesson.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »