Talk

Advanced search

New (2nd hand) family car - Kia Sportage or Ford C-Max?

(38 Posts)
SatsumaFan Tue 22-Jan-19 16:48:45

We are looking to replace our 12yr old diesel Touran for something slightly smaller (don't need 7 seats), but petrol (as I only do short trips), with a big boot and economical. I prefer a higher driving position. Budget is £12k max.

I was looking to test drive these two on the weekend but wondered if there was anything I should be looking out for particularly? I know the Ford (looking at a 1.0ltr EcoBoost) has a slightly larger boot, is cheaper on tax and more economical, but I prefer the look of the Kia.

Any thoughts appreciated! smile

CocoLoco87 Tue 22-Jan-19 16:59:07

Skoda Karoq is meant to be very reliable. Similar in size to sportage I think.

SatsumaFan Tue 22-Jan-19 17:03:32

Out of my price range unfortunately sad Would love a Kodiaq or Karoq.

Bigonesmallone3 Tue 22-Jan-19 17:09:12

I much prefer the look of the sportage

SatsumaFan Tue 22-Jan-19 18:21:22

Me too! Shame it doesn't compare to the boring C-max in terms of running costs...

NoFucksImAQueen Tue 22-Jan-19 18:26:49

do NOT get the c max especially the 1litre engine as it's one of the ones that has a fault that Ford is now acknowledging and offering to pay for. I bought ours for the same reasons as you and it's been a nightmare. had it just under a year and the engine failed so was replaced under warranty but I had no car for a month. second engine went a few weeks back, 9 months after it was put it. I'm selling it now as I'm sick of my car being in the garage all the bloody time

SatsumaFan Tue 22-Jan-19 19:29:16

Oh no @NoFucksImAQueen ! What a nightmare. I had heard they had issues before 2013/15 but we should be ok if newer? What year was yours?

RockCrushesLizard Tue 22-Jan-19 19:48:49

We had a Cmax, and I really loved it. It's just wide enough for three car seats across the back, without feeling like a tank.

Good fuel economy, great books and crannies for keeping stuff in. My only gripe was that it was a bit noisy - sounded like a London cab!

SatsumaFan Tue 22-Jan-19 20:15:20

@RockCrushesLizard what year was yours please? And was it a petrol or diesel?

It would be nice to get three car seats across the back still. Not sure we can do that in the Sportage.

bonzo77 Tue 22-Jan-19 20:18:22

My petrol cmax has shocking fuel economy. The thing is saying 32.7 mpg round town. Admittedly it’s the 1.6. I think the build quality is poor too. I’m comparing it to my smax (same year, diesel, also titanium spec).

SatsumaFan Tue 22-Jan-19 20:22:03

@bonzo77 what year is your C-max?

I'm thinking the Sportage will have similar fuel economy to my current diesel Touran Sport (170bhp). Off to Auto Trader to check!

SkylightAndChandelier Tue 22-Jan-19 20:27:57

Driven various big vehicles - not a c-max though, and thought the sportage was very good for the price. Don't consider going up a size to the Santa Fe though - it was diabolical

My last two cars have been fords, and the build quality isn't spectacular - I'd say the sport age I drove just about edged it out

keiratwiceknightly Tue 22-Jan-19 20:29:19

C-max v unreliable. I had one and will never buy another ford because it was so poor. Kia pretty good.

Singletomingle Tue 22-Jan-19 20:34:44

I have a cmax 1.8 diesel on long runs it hits 50 mpg in 2 years its had nothing but new tyres.

RockCrushesLizard Tue 22-Jan-19 20:52:23

Mine was 2013, diesel.
I could do a stage 1 seat, high backed booster, and a booster seat in the middle. Only just, but well enough for lifts etc.

bonzo77 Tue 22-Jan-19 20:53:15

It’s a 15 plate.

bonzo77 Tue 22-Jan-19 20:54:46

But I do get 3 seats in. A HBB, an ERF and a booster cushion. Not enough space to have a 2nd HBB instead of the cushion.

SatsumaFan Tue 22-Jan-19 21:04:36

@bonzo77 I'm looking at 15 plates too, but looking at the difference between the 1.6 petrol and 1.0 EcoBoost the latter does seem to quote better fuel economy (and only £30 per year tax).

Thanks for all your opinions so far - keep em coming! WhatCar reviews say Kia has brilliant reliability, but no grunt and drive isn't great. C-max is punchier and better to drive.

Decisions decisions!

SatsumaFan Tue 22-Jan-19 21:05:14

Forgot to show the comparison between 1.6 and 1.0 C-max

Blankscreen Tue 22-Jan-19 21:11:57

I've got a cmax and it is just well a bit boring. My sister has the Kia and I would say it feels as though it has better build quality. Mine is. 1.6 litre petriol it's ok on fuel.
It doesn't have much power which I notice on the motorway but around town it's fine
Something did go wrong with our engine a couple of years ago it was just out of the two year warranty was £400 ish to fix. Car is 5 years old and has just done £42k miles so it was low mileage when it went wrong. That said nothing else since other than brakes and tyres.

As some one else said I like the fact you can get three car seats across the back of you need to.

In summary I don't loce it but it does its job and it's a safe good sized car which was relatively cheap.

NoFucksImAQueen Tue 22-Jan-19 21:35:51

mines a 13 but if you look 9m the Facebook page ecoboost nightmare I saw one person on there with a 17 plate

twobetwobetwo Tue 22-Jan-19 21:39:18

Had a Sportage, loved it

SatsumaFan Tue 22-Jan-19 21:42:11

@Blankscreen thank you for your thoughts! I agree all Fords the C-Max is the boring, safe, practical option.

The kids are 5 and 8 so am thinking do I just suck it up for now and go for the sensible option (and pray that I don't get a dodgy EcoBOOM engine), then in 5yrs time have a mid-life crisis and get something fun and sporty then?!

Parky04 Tue 22-Jan-19 21:52:58

Currently have a Sportage and absolutely love it!

doistayordoigo Tue 22-Jan-19 21:56:58

Second hand Kias can have the balance of the 7 year warranty as well, as long as they've been serviced properly...peace of mind if anything does go wrong.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: