Talk

Advanced search

Learner Insurance/Rules

(7 Posts)
mummy2Be2019 Tue 15-Jan-19 06:53:05

If someone has learner insurance and wants to drive their car home yet the person in the passenger seat is under 21 and less than 3 years experience who will get the fine and ban?

FixTheBone Tue 15-Jan-19 06:59:12

My understanding is that the driver is responsible.

Think if the passenger was a child or had no license at all...

FixTheBone Tue 15-Jan-19 07:01:01

www.gov.uk/driving-lessons-learning-to-drive/practising-with-family-or-friends

mummy2Be2019 Tue 15-Jan-19 07:05:05

Thank you, what it is that my friend is learning and I've been driving for 2 years and 20 so I'm not allowed to supervise her I said I'm more than happy to come as long as she has a supervisor but I'm scared she will say I'm the supervisor as I don't know her friends and she could get someone who could be even younger than me and I'll lose my licences or get fined for supervising them x @FixTheBone

Spam88 Tue 15-Jan-19 07:08:05

You won't be supervising thought because you don't meet the criteria, so you're not in any way responsible.

mummy2Be2019 Tue 15-Jan-19 07:10:38

That's fine then, so it can't fall back on me? It's the learner whose fully responsible and will receive the ban/points x

Craft1905 Wed 16-Jan-19 13:35:42

You won't be supervising thought because you don't meet the criteria, so you're not in any way responsible.

Not entirely true. The driver would be liable for an LC20 conviction on her licence. But if she claimed in her defense that the OP told her that she was 21 with a full licence for 3 years when in fact she was only 20 with a full licence 2 years, then the OP could be prosecuted for an LC22 offence, aiding and abetting driving not in accordance with the terms of the licence.

OP would then have to go to court to put her side of the story, and the magistrates would make a decision.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »