Talk

Advanced search

Going from a 1.2 to 2.0 litre when I'm only a shy 5ft in height

(29 Posts)
YesOrNoThatsTheQuestion Sun 13-Jan-19 15:52:59

I have just purchased a new car which I will be picking up next week! I currently have a small car which has been great but it will not pass the next MOT and it isn't worth much in value now. I test drive a BMW Series 1 and it was really nice, however very different because it is a lot bigger than my other car! The main issue is that I am petite! I had the seat fully forward and tilted up and I managed to drive it fine so I don't know why I'm worrying? I'm worried because it is faster, bigger and I guess I'm worried I may scrape or bump it! Has anyone who is my height transitioned from a small to a big car?

Bunnybigears Sun 13-Jan-19 15:56:07

As long as you can sit comfortably and operate the car safely im not sure what your height has to do with it. My friend has dwarfism and drives a big (apapted) car.

Rockbird Sun 13-Jan-19 15:58:38

I'm 5ft 2 and have always driven bigger cars. The seats are all adjustable, it makes no difference at all.

Micke Sun 13-Jan-19 16:00:06

Don't worry.

I'm 5', and have driven everything from 500cc tiny cars, to souped up boy racers, people carriers, and currently a 3.2 litre pickup.

As long as you can get the seat pumped up high enough, and can reach the pedals, the size of you doesn't matter at all.

(having said that, I'm fully aware that given how close I am to the steering wheel, if that air bag goes off I'm going to get my bell well and truly rung - but again, that's true no matter the size of the car)

HirplesWithHaggis Sun 13-Jan-19 16:02:25

Another five footer here, have driven many different vehicles, and agree with Micke. Especially about the airbag thing. sad

BikeRunSki Sun 13-Jan-19 16:03:42

I have a friend who is 5’ nothing and weighs less than 7 stone. She drives a van!

NiktheGreek Sun 13-Jan-19 16:04:36

I'm 5ft 1 and until recently drove 2 ltr 4×4 for years no problem.

JcHcks Sun 13-Jan-19 16:16:33

I'm 5 ft and have a 1 series and I love it!!! Enjoy it smile I know what you mean but I just generally don't like driving big cars, nothing to do with my height

YesOrNoThatsTheQuestion Sun 13-Jan-19 16:24:24

thank you everyone. I'm so silly I know! I really need to stop being a baby lol

@JcHcks do you know if the wheel is adjustable? Can it go forward backward, up and down?

JcHcks Sun 13-Jan-19 16:28:03

Yea the steering wheel is adjustable. Definitely up and down, not sure about forward/back I've never done it. Honestly I love it and love the speed 😉

hendricksy Sun 13-Jan-19 16:29:19

I'm 5 ft and drive a really big car . It's never been a problem . I don't realise I'm little though 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

YesOrNoThatsTheQuestion Sun 13-Jan-19 17:24:02

@JcHcks if you remember or go out in it next, do you mind checking for me please?! Sorry sounds so rude doesn't it lol I really should've checked when I did a test drive in it blush I can drive it fine but with the air bag issue would like if the wheel went in a bit more

JcHcks Sun 13-Jan-19 17:30:36

No that's fine mine does both, up and down and front and back but I normally just adjust the height. The airbag is scary isn't it, I'm terrified incase I ever get hit or have an accident

YesOrNoThatsTheQuestion Sun 13-Jan-19 17:39:08

Great thank you @JcHcks at least I know I can adjust it forward for when I put my seat right forward. I know that's what I'm worried about! I'm sure it'll be fine haha. I have to do it at some point can't keep driving a small clown car lol

MaxTeyon Sun 13-Jan-19 22:10:12

Not entirely sure what engine size has to do with whether you’ll fit comfortably? Surely if you’ve driven it and can find a good driving position then job’s a good un?

YesOrNoThatsTheQuestion Sun 13-Jan-19 22:11:17

Bigger engine = bigger car lol

Thank you x

dickyduckydido Sun 13-Jan-19 22:13:16

I found a courtesy name horrible to drive and I'm 5ft. I found I was so far forward to reach the pedals safely that if I drove for any length of time, my elbows and knees ached something chronic.

dickyduckydido Sun 13-Jan-19 22:13:46

Not name ffs- bmw

QuestionableMouse Sun 13-Jan-19 22:17:32

I'm just over five foot and have been driving a Jumbo transit today. It's something like 21 foot long by nine foot high.

As long as you can sit comfortably you'll be fine. Don't be that tiny woman who can't do anything because they're too short!

QuestionableMouse Sun 13-Jan-19 22:18:21

I also drive a 2l Zafira on a daily basis!

redandwhite1 Sun 13-Jan-19 22:23:33

What's engine size got to do with your height?!

cushioncuddle Sun 13-Jan-19 22:27:10

Exactly what red said. I'm baffled what the engine size has to do with your height !

redandwhite1 Sun 13-Jan-19 22:34:58

I read after I posted she had replied to someone else bigger engine = bigger car but obviously this isn't always the case seeing as you can get a 2.0 litre engines in small cars and big cars can also have small engines lol

YesOrNoThatsTheQuestion Sun 13-Jan-19 22:37:46

I just assume that bigger engine means bigger car haha. I am obviously more dippy than I thought lol

potatoscone Sun 13-Jan-19 22:46:15

OP you will know if one car is bigger than the other, but your engine size and height have zero connection.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »