Talk

Advanced search

MOT..

(11 Posts)
clouise2018 Thu 10-Jan-19 15:24:14

My MOT is due on the 26th of this month.

However, I'm completely short of money this month and only get paid on the 25th sad

Would I be able to get it done on the 25th instead of any date previously? This is the first time I'm having to get it done so I'm new to this.

Thanks all

emwithme Thu 10-Jan-19 15:26:46

As long as it's done by the end of the 26th, you're fine.

SoupDragon Thu 10-Jan-19 15:27:08

The 25th is fine. As is the 26th. If you book it in and don't drive it anywhere other than to the MOT centre for the test, a later date is fine too.

BlessThisMess Thu 10-Jan-19 15:27:22

Yes, no problem. Get it booked in for the 25th or 26th. You could even book it in for the 27th because you're allowed to drive a car without an MOT as long as you are just taking it to the test centre.

SoupDragon Thu 10-Jan-19 15:28:26

ie you dont drive it between the expiry of the MOT other than to drive to the garage for a pre booked test. It probably needs to be off the road though.

clouise2018 Thu 10-Jan-19 15:28:44

Thanks everyone!

What happens if it fails the MOT on the 25/26 though?

Would it have to stay at the test centre until sorted?

SoupDragon Thu 10-Jan-19 16:20:58

Google says

If you have failed your MOT test on the same day as the MOT is due to expire then there are only two instances that you can drive your vehicle:

➢You may take your vehicle to a test station for an MOT test booked in advance
➢You may take your vehicle to get it repaired after it has failed its ^MOT test.

I think it's often left at the garage to fix though as I believe you don't usually have to pay for a full retest then.

You can't drive it if the current certificate has expired and it's failed the new test.

clouise2018 Thu 10-Jan-19 16:27:56

@SoupDragon thanks smile

MaxTeyon Fri 11-Jan-19 18:58:18

You can't drive it if the current certificate has expired and it's failed the new test.

Other than home or for repairs of course.

Shylo Fri 11-Jan-19 19:00:18

I believe that if you drive it off for repairs and take it back for the mot you have to pay for the retest whereas if you leave it with the original tester they just make the repairs re and pass it

MaxTeyon Fri 11-Jan-19 20:45:29

I believe that if you drive it off for repairs and take it back for the mot you have to pay for the retest whereas if you leave it with the original tester they just make the repairs re and pass it

Under some circumstances you can be charged a retest fee, no one has to charge one. My tester doesn’t for example.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »