Talk

Advanced search

Tell me which car I should buy

(28 Posts)
Fieldsofcabbages Wed 02-Jan-19 12:42:44

I need to get a car but I have no idea what to go for. I passed my test several years ago but I've never needed to get a car before now. I've never owned a car before and no idea where to start.

I have one DC with another on the way so I need something 5 door, safe and reliable.

I'm quite a nervous passenger and driver and so I doubt I'll be doing much motorway driving. I need something that could cope with hills though as where I live is very hilly so it needs a bit of oomph.

I want something that doesn't feel as though it's made of paper. It needs a decent boot for buggy/shopping etc.

I will have a max of about £6k to spend. Not fussy about it looking cool or having loads of extras. A hybrid would be great.

So what should I get?...

MaxTeyon Wed 02-Jan-19 16:57:14

Toyota Yaris might fit the bill although may be a bit on the small side?

Fieldsofcabbages Wed 02-Jan-19 19:30:25

Thanks MaxTeyon I'll have a look at the Yaris. I was thinking probably something about fiesta size and the Yaris is similar I think so that may work.

greendale17 Wed 02-Jan-19 19:40:02

Ford Fiesta or Nissan Micra- cheap to run, economical, well built

anniehm Wed 02-Jan-19 19:45:29

Go to a car supermarket with lots of different brands - a larger hatchback would be fine size wise - our Laguna had a huge boot. I prefer mazdas really though, we have a huge car (2 kids and a dog) but they are super reliable

heatherblue Wed 02-Jan-19 19:46:18

I've got a Yaris, it's surprisingly roomy inside. If you want oomph go for the 1.5 model.

ReflectentMonatomism Wed 02-Jan-19 19:49:14

I was behind an original Yaris a few weeks ago with a distinctive plate. So I looked it up on the mot database. 180k miles, passing its mot every year like clockwork. A neighbour has one that appears to be hewn from solid. Those things are built.

MaxTeyon Wed 02-Jan-19 19:51:51

Micras are also bomb proof.

QuickChatChange Wed 02-Jan-19 19:52:27

The Peugeot 2008. Hands down is my winner, it's big but not insanely massive. Kids are comfortable in the back, big boot space and for not much extra you can get a reversing camera and sky window.

The BEST bit though, is hill start assist. I live on the steepest hill and it has a set of traffic lights at the top. I was dreading doing hill starts everyday. With this car, all I have to do is put my foot all the way down on the clutch and brake. When I'm ready to move off, I swap my foot to the accelerator and find the bite with my other foot. The car has a 3/4 second delay to let you find the bite before it'll roll backwards. It's an absolutely amazing feature and I wouldn't be without it

Fieldsofcabbages Wed 02-Jan-19 20:07:33

Ooh thank you everyone for all of the suggestions. The idea of going to a car supermarket place is a great one, why hadn't I thought of that!
Any cars I should definitely avoid?

Fieldsofcabbages Wed 02-Jan-19 20:11:14

Oh and the hill assist sounds perfect! I will definitely have a look at the Peugeot 2008. Do any other cars have this feature does anyone know?

Bamchic Wed 02-Jan-19 20:22:22

I’ve got a 2015 Citroen c3 and I love it!! Got a 2 way pearl and a mothercare Madrid in it and can get a silver cross wave in the boot.
It’s 5 door but not too big. and it’s got a panoramic roof so I feel fancy driving it

Thesnobbymiddleclassone Wed 02-Jan-19 20:24:45

I have a 03 plate vauxhall astra.

Good amount of space inside, great size boot for pram and the fuel:millage ration is good.

Teddyreddy Wed 02-Jan-19 20:53:23

I'd add the Honda Jazz to your list. It's a small car, but the size of a medium car inside - so lots of rear passenger space making it easy to fit car seats in, and a good amount of boot space. Like the Yards, it's got a reputation for reliability.

Teddyreddy Wed 02-Jan-19 20:54:35

Autocorrect fail sorry, Yaris not Yards!

Miranda15110 Wed 02-Jan-19 21:17:31

I had two replacement cars recently that I loved. Currently drive a Skoda Yeti which is great on fuel and cheap to tax. Had an auto VW Touran which I loved and didn't want to give back and a manual Vauxhall Mokka x which I also loved due to heated seats and steering wheel. I like a high up car as they feel safer. I guess budget will dictate x

Fieldsofcabbages Thu 03-Jan-19 10:32:46

Thanks everyone loads of options there to check out. smile

MaxTeyon Thu 03-Jan-19 11:16:26

Do any other cars have this feature does anyone know?

Yes, many cars have this feature - you don’t need to buy a piece of French shit to experience it.

ReflectentMonatomism Thu 03-Jan-19 12:04:21

you don’t need to buy a piece of French shit to experience it.

Quite.

Definition of bravery: buying your first second-hand French car.

Definition of foolishness: buying your second second-hand French car.

IWouldPreferNotTo Thu 03-Jan-19 12:08:10

If you have kids I'd look at the Skoda yeti. It's a great car which isn't too big and plenty of space

EmmaC78 Thu 03-Jan-19 12:12:30

I always hear the advice about avoiding French cars but never understood it. I have had two second hand Peugeots and never had any problems with them apart from the usual minor things like new tyres or wiper blades.

Escapenextyear Thu 03-Jan-19 12:14:10

Yaris or Fiesta

ReflectentMonatomism Thu 03-Jan-19 13:16:03

I have had two second hand Peugeots and never had any problems with them

Most cars are reliable most of the time. I didn't have any substantial problems with an early (cylindrical speedometer, non-cancelling indicators) Citroen BX, which is every French stereotype in one handy packet.

But if you had 100 of them in a fleet, and compared them to 100 Toyotas, you'd see a marked difference. And that's before you compare the horrific depreciation.

Greatorb Sun 06-Jan-19 21:21:18

Lexus RX450h is a good car.

InvisbleWonder Wed 16-Jan-19 00:58:36

Vauxhall Corsa range is a good start.
5 door , and try to get a 1.3 diesel or better yet a 1.4 petrol.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: