Talk

Advanced search

How often do you inflate your tyres?

(20 Posts)
DirtyDishes Mon 31-Dec-18 21:59:41

I've just had to replace one, and was told it wore out because I wasn't inflating it enough. I did it maybe every two months, but I have to get someone else to do it for me as I'm not strong enough! How often do you do it?

2019rubberband Mon 31-Dec-18 22:01:04

I check my tyres weekly.

MynameisJune Mon 31-Dec-18 22:02:04

Our car tells us when they are low, so top them up then.

blaaake Mon 31-Dec-18 22:03:01

Literally never, except when I'm going to be driving on a long journey. I think the dealership checks it when I get a service but I'm not sure

Parker231 Mon 31-Dec-18 22:03:23

When the indicator comes on in the car.

user1486076969 Mon 31-Dec-18 22:08:44

Probably 3-4 times per year, and check oil at the same time. No tyre indicator on my car. That being said I've never, in 39 years (eek!) of driving had an oil indicator come on.

2019rubberband Mon 31-Dec-18 22:15:38

People waiting for the light on the dash to say they are low, that is way too low. Tyres lose pressure slowly and can have lost a lot before the warning comes on.

My car is set to 39 all round but the indicator doesn't show until they go below 20, which is awfully low.

Check them manually.

Ollivander84 Mon 31-Dec-18 22:16:59

I get a health check done via work (for the car, not me!!) once a month with a wash and vac so it's done then

SansaClegane Mon 31-Dec-18 22:28:21

2019 not necessarily, mine are set to 38 but when the indicator comes on and I top them up they will be around 32.
However when the indicator says "fill tyre with air NOW" it's usually a puncture fwink

MynameisJune Mon 31-Dec-18 22:31:45

@2019rubberband ours are 35 the indicator goes off when they get to 27. Never dangerously low.

2019rubberband Mon 31-Dec-18 22:34:11

6/8 below is not dangerous but not fuel efficient or good for the tyres. Why leave them so long?

RB68 Mon 31-Dec-18 22:35:34

Not sure why you need to be strong to check tyres. Get an old fashioned pressure guage and you can check easily you just push it on the valve and the pressure rises the centre stick to show what they are on. It is sometimes awkward filling tyres but find a friendly old fashioned place and get them to do it for you, just also get any tyres or odds and ends from them as well to give them some business. Should at least be checking weekly same for oil and washer fluid

JuniperBeer Mon 31-Dec-18 22:37:59

RB68 it depends on usage as well. If it did 50 miles a week I’m not going to check all that weekly. If I was doing 500 I would

MaxTeyon Tue 01-Jan-19 13:21:16

As part of my standard weekly checks.

CruelAndUnusualParenting Wed 02-Jan-19 11:38:20

I check roughly fortnightly, but not as consistently as I should. You don't have to be strong to inflate tyres. Halfords will sell you a basic pump for about £20, which you plug into the lighter socket and that does the work for you.

Lights, fluids and tyres should be checked weekly (POWDER checks), although few of us do.

www.cheshirefire.gov.uk/public-safety/road-safety/vehicle-checks

Seeline Wed 02-Jan-19 11:40:53

My car tells me the pressure in each individual tyre so I can see exactly what it is. An alert comes on if it falls below hte recommended level.

AlexaAmbidextra Thu 10-Jan-19 23:13:21

When the car tells me I need to.

Rainbowshine Thu 10-Jan-19 23:18:28

Monthly. Tyre pressure is a vital factor for the car to stop safely. Near me a driver killed 4 people because their tyres were under inflated and the investigation said if they had been at the right pressure then the vehicles would not have collided 🙁

lljkk Thu 10-Jan-19 23:26:22

Only drive 40 miles/week on avg so only check the tyres about once every 2 months.

Larasshadow Sat 19-Jan-19 19:32:32

I've just had to replace one, and was told it wore out because I wasn't inflating it enough. I did it maybe every two months, but I have to get someone else to do it for me as I'm not strong enough! How often do you do it?

Not sure how strength comes in to it, are you using a foot pump? Most petrol stations have air machines where you select the pressure you require and the machine does it all for you. Sound like you need a higher pressure in your tyres if they are wearing out quickly. They tend to wear unevenly if you over or under inflate them.

You should be able to Google what pressures you need for your car. My astra only needs 31psi but another poster above needs 38psi in their car so it's best to check.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »