Talk

Advanced search

Did anyone take motorway lessons after passing their driving test?

(74 Posts)
Loka123 Sun 30-Dec-18 11:18:27

I've had mixed opinions about this - some say that motorway driving is in fact a lot easier than normal driving (as no pedestrians, right turns, roundabouts, etc.) BUT obviously, accidents on the motorway can be much more severe, mainly due to the high speeds involved.

Is it mainly just getting onto the motorway from the slip road which is what needs practice? (I know overtaking requires moving into right lane and back with observations which is another thing but I guess at first, overtaking might not even be necessary, right?)

As a worst case scenario, what would happen if you get to the end of the slip road with no suitable gap in the motorway at all? Obviously, you can't merge if there's a lot of traffic coming up close behind so is it ever ok to stop at the end of the slip road if so and then join the motorway when a suitable gap appears and build up speed then? I know it'd be very difficult to match up speed quickly enough in that case and will need a bigger gap to join... Obviously, this is unlikely to happen but just imaging worst case scenario but has anyone ever needed to do this?

Lottapianos Sun 30-Dec-18 11:22:11

Watching with interest as currently learning to drive but haven't touched motorways yet!

AlpacaLypse Sun 30-Dec-18 11:27:12

I didn't but I wish I had! I was petrified when I first found myself on a motorway. I'd planned my journey to avoid it, but found myself in the wrong filter lane at a junction when it was too late. And suddenly I was on the M23, at least heading in the correct direction. I wriggled my way to the left and stayed there, despite being trapped between lorries, until the next junction, got off, found a car park and sat still until I was calm again.

EggbertHeartsTina Sun 30-Dec-18 11:52:53

As of earlier this year, learners are allowed on the motorway. Are you learning still? If not maybe get a couple of hours with an instructor to take you to a motorway.

Incidentally I passed in May and went straight into motorway driving the following day.

A couple of weeks ago was the first time I was entering on a slip road with no space to get on. I ended up stopping at the end and having to enter at a sizeable gap so that I could accelerate fast enough to get up to 60mph+.

tinesltitties Sun 30-Dec-18 11:57:05

Despite what Mumsnet will tell you to use the hard shoulder yes, it's a give way line, so if you cannot merge technically you stop. Realistically we can usually manage to merge somehow so stopping is not necessary.

It's no different to joining a dual carriageway using a slip road. Pay attention to the lane you are joining.

WatchingFromTheWings Sun 30-Dec-18 11:58:27

After I passed my test my parents paid for me to have a 2 hour lesson just on the motorway. Its actually easier to drive on the motorway than roads but can be quite scarey when you've not done it before! Glad I did it.

BirthdayKake Sun 30-Dec-18 11:59:56

No. I probably should have, as I was TERRIFIED of them and avoided them for years.

Then I got my confidence up and was fine on them, unless they were vv busy or there were roadworks to navigate.

THEN someone smashed into me on a motorway, with all my DC in the car, which was fucking terrifying. And now I'm back to square one sad

SammySays Sun 30-Dec-18 12:02:05

Have you had practice getting onto a dual carriageway OP? I passed earlier this year and live near a series of ‘A’ roads (A12/A13) etc and as you join those on slip roads I find it no different driving on a motorway. It’s the same speed limit, you join the road in the same way and the only real difference I can see/feel is that there are more lanes to use. Prior to passing I hadn’t driven on a motorway and really had built it up in my head to be a big thing. I bit the bullet and went onto one 2 weeks after I passed and couldn’t believe I had worried over it. Good luck OP!

Badbadbunny Sun 30-Dec-18 12:03:42

Despite what Mumsnet will tell you to use the hard shoulder yes, it's a give way line, so if you cannot merge technically you stop.

It's not a give way line. Give way lines are double dashed lines. Motorway junctions are single. You definitely don't stop at the end of the line. If you really can't join the carriageway, then you go onto the hard shoulder. and wait for a big enough gap to join it from a standing start. It's highly dangerous to stop in the lane itself as cars behind you won't be expecting it and will be concentrating on merging into the carriageway themselves, so highly likely to hit you.

redexpat Sun 30-Dec-18 12:04:46

I had one 2 hour lesson because I was feeling intimidated. It is just like a dual carriageway. But that lesson gave me confidence.

HardAsSnails Sun 30-Dec-18 12:05:01

After I passed I had a 2 hour motorway lesson, to get on, get off, overtake and use a huge roundabout to get to the services, and then also had a 2 hour driving in the dark lesson as I never had, it was foggy and rainy so was really useful.

Darkbaptism Sun 30-Dec-18 12:06:39

I had a 2 hour motorway lesson about a month after I passed, it really helped.

tinesltitties Sun 30-Dec-18 12:07:08

If you really can't join the carriageway, then you go onto the hard shoulder.

NO YOU FUCKING DO NOT.

gamerchick Sun 30-Dec-18 12:11:23

A lesson won't hurt, I didn't find it as difficult as I thought though. I find most people are considerate and let you in. Overtaking isn't as difficult as you think, just make sure you see the vehicle you're overtaking in your interior mirror before moving back to the left lane.

If you're find yourself trapped in between 2 big beasts then you need to get out of that because if there is a crash you'll not only hit the beast in front, you'll get scrunched into it by the beast behind.

PurpleDaisies Sun 30-Dec-18 12:13:13

www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/stopping.html

This might help. You MUST NOT stop on the carriageway, hard shoulder, slip road, central reservation or verge except in an emergency, or when told to do so by the police.

seven201 Sun 30-Dec-18 12:56:21

I had a motorway lesson after driving. Merging is pretty terrifying to begin with! Definitely worth doing some motorway work. As a pp said learners can go on the motorway now so just get your instructor to take you one day.

Badbadbunny Sun 30-Dec-18 13:02:16

Indeed, it says you MUST NOT stop on the slip road! So if you can't stop on the slip road by law, and can't join the traffic, then your only remaining choice is the hard shoulder to stop. Of course, there are usually no reasons at all why you can't join the carriageway if you look at the moving traffic soon enough, get to the right speed and filter in a suitable gap. But for whatever reason, if you can't do that, then you certainly don't just park on the slip road!

halfwitpicker Sun 30-Dec-18 13:03:48

Yes, I had a couple of 2 hour sessions. Worth every penny.

emma1224 Sun 30-Dec-18 13:05:38

I didn't do it
I went on easier roads built my confidence and the. Hit the motorways I was fine x

NotMeNoNo Sun 30-Dec-18 13:18:35

You are not meant to stop on the slip road or hard shoulder. But this is not helpful to someone who's lost their nerve and already stopped.

If you have the bad luck to try to join at the time a solid nose to tail stream of traffic is in lane 1, lose your nerve and end up stopping as the slip road tapers out, you still have to go somewhere. Safest is to use the hard shoulder to get up to speed and carefully move over - this is a last resort as it is effectively a sort of emergency situation.

With experience you judge the traffic and adjust your speed as you come down the slip road and you can often get into a smaller gap than you think.

People will say you should never force another vehicle to slow, but if they are driving so close a joining car can't get in, they aren't following the highway code either.

OccasionallyIncomplet Sun 30-Dec-18 13:24:47

The fact that there is so much absolutely awful advice in this thread shows why motorway lessons are a exceedingly good idea.

If you can - an hour lesson now will pay dividends later. On the motorway as things are moving a lot faster, the potential for an accident is greater and it's likely to be more serious. £25 for a lesson is money extremely well spent.

Craft1905 Sun 30-Dec-18 17:22:55

If you really can't join the carriageway, then you go onto the hard shoulder.

NO YOU FUCKING DO NOT.

YES YOU FUCKING DO.

It is illegal to stop on the slip road. It is illegal to drive on the hard shoulder unless it's an emergency. Running out of slip road is an emergency. NEVER STOP ON THE SLIP ROAD. It's not a give way line at the end of the slip road, it's a single dotted line...a lane marking.

Having said that, in over 30 years of driving I have never been unable to join the motorway from the slip road. Never, ever.

tinesltitties Sun 30-Dec-18 17:40:57

Fuck me.

The hard shoulder is not extra slip road.

Running out of slip road is not a fucking emergency.

gamerchick Sun 30-Dec-18 18:11:26

"Slip roads allow you to join a motorway or dual carriageway. ... You must give priority to traffic already on the motorway: don't force your way into the traffic stream. Avoid stopping at the end of the slip road unless you're queuing to join slow-moving traffic."

I'm sorry would someone like to tell me where it says it's illegal to stop on a slip road in the above? confused

Greatorb Sun 30-Dec-18 19:12:07

tinesltitties

Fuck me.

The hard shoulder is not extra slip road.

Running out of slip road is not a fucking emergency.

You really need to give your head a wobble before your shitty advice gets someone killed!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: