Talk

Advanced search

Small city car that can cope with ice and snow?

(20 Posts)
SeaGreenSeaGlass Fri 28-Dec-18 23:30:30

All ideas and experience welcome!
I like something small, easy to park, but ideally also not awful in wintry conditions.

Baconbutties Fri 28-Dec-18 23:33:07

My mini was fine in the snow and ice last year but we didn’t get really deep snow . but I think it’s the tyres that are the crucial thing and swooping for winter tyres makes a difference

Honeyroar Fri 28-Dec-18 23:33:31

Any car becomes a huge amount better in bad weather if you have winter tyres put on it. My focus went from absolutely hopeless in snow to being able to get up a hill on snowy roads. The tyres are also good in wet weather, they’re not just for snow and ice.. That way you can have whatever car you like..

SeaGreenSeaGlass Fri 28-Dec-18 23:42:42

Thanks. I had thought of winter tyres but the weather's so inconsistent - it was around freezing at the weekend until Christmas eve, but its 10°C now, which I think is a bit warm for winter tyres?
(I wouldn't be able to swap them back and forth myself with the changing temp).

tittietinsel Fri 28-Dec-18 23:44:28

Michelin cross climate are your friend. Both my cars wear them all year round.

Honeyroar Fri 28-Dec-18 23:50:55

Mine go on in Oct and come off in April. Regardless of temperature. The tyres will help in wet weather too.. Some garages will store the other set of tyres for you.

SeaGreenSeaGlass Fri 28-Dec-18 23:52:34

Thanks again. I had been thinking that a small 4x4 might be best, but I'll have a proper look into winter tyres. (I need to replace my car anyway).

CruelAndUnusualParenting Sat 29-Dec-18 21:15:29

I second the Michelin CrossClimate tyres. I got some in November 2016, and they were incredible when it was icy in the Hertfordshire villages. They are also really good in normal summer conditions.

Santaissleepingoffmincepies Sat 29-Dec-18 21:17:41

Mazda 2 sport with winter tyres.

Greatorb Sun 30-Dec-18 19:14:30

Experience and suitable tyres are the best combination. A 4x4 driven by an inexperienced driver and/or on summer tyres will still struggle on a decent snow covering.

AnyFucker Sun 30-Dec-18 19:15:57

I have a 4×4 saloon and last year it was the only car that got off my road

somewhereovertherain Wed 02-Jan-19 21:21:59

any car with small wheels is great.

4x4 is useless without decent tyres.

WhenLifeGivesYouLemonsx Fri 25-Jan-19 16:38:33

Ford KA.

I kid you not. That car was incredible! It got me up the hill in very icy conditions, when it was heavily snowing and very economical around town. Very easy to park as well! I really miss it sad

Make sure whatever car you get is a front wheel drive as they are best when driving in ice/snowy conditions.

binkybea Fri 25-Jan-19 16:41:23

I have had a honda jazz which was good in snow ⛄️

Currently driving a vw up and that is good too ❄️

Mrscog Fri 25-Jan-19 16:41:33

I had a VW polo which did a 30 mile journey in 10 - 15 cm deep snow (normal tyres) albeit at 20mph! but it was an amazing car.

bluebump Fri 25-Jan-19 16:41:43

My Mini was great in the snow, I haven’t driven my new car in the snow yet but hoping it’s as good should we get any.

binkybea Fri 25-Jan-19 16:42:11

Low gear and minimal braking!

binkybea Fri 25-Jan-19 16:42:55

Never used winter tyres!

guiltynetter Fri 25-Jan-19 16:43:46

whenlife - I was about to say exactly the same. a good few years now I've seen people stuck in snow and I've sailed past them in my Ford ka! I love it.

4point2fleet Fri 25-Jan-19 16:45:06

Pretty happy with my Tiguan. Does muddy dinghy parks and was fine in the snow last year. We are rural and quite a lot of people have them. Also lots of Yetis around.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: