Talk

Advanced search

How can you read lane markings on the road surface in queues of traffic..?

(9 Posts)
Borelis Tue 11-Dec-18 22:46:33

How can you read lane markings on the road surface in queues of traffic..?

I'd rely on the markings on the road surface to determine which lane to get into on approach e.g. on a 3 lane road etc but how can this be done when it's rush hour and there's about 500 m of continuous traffic ?

SemperIdem Tue 11-Dec-18 22:47:49

Well, you’ll get the idea from what direction the traffic ahead is going in each lane, surely?

Gunpowder Tue 11-Dec-18 22:51:55

I find this hard too. Typically I guess and then change lanes if I guess wrong once I see the markings but it’s stressful. (I’ve only been driving two years)

StealthPolarBear Tue 11-Dec-18 22:53:19

Yes I agree and often the roundabouts are too big to see which lane can filter into the exits you want.

Vinorosso74 Tue 11-Dec-18 22:54:41

I had the misfortune of being on the North Circular last week and approaching Hangar Lane to go west onto A40 I couldn't see the road markings and there were three lanes so did I have to be right or was middle ok? Once I saw markings they were actually quite worn away so a bit crap really!
Driving roads you know is fine but those you don't not so easy to know which lane is ok.

Borelis Mon 17-Dec-18 21:48:28

Thanks for the replies so far. More replies welcome smile

superram Mon 17-Dec-18 21:49:59

There are big signs at the side of the road telling you.

NicoAndTheNiners Mon 17-Dec-18 22:01:39

There aren't always signs at the side of the road.

So I would take it slow and indicate and change lane if necessary.

Some three lane roundAbouts can be confusing in the approach......with them I always think if I'm not sure I can always go in the right lane and go round the roundabout until I know which lane I should be in. Obviously I know the usual roundabout rules but there's one in particular near me which has arrows painted on the lanes different to how you'd normally expect it to be set up.....and as I don't go that way often I always forget!

Borelis Mon 24-Dec-18 17:13:44

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm still struggling to be honest. When there are clear markings on the road surfacing showing which lane to be in and not a lot of traffic, it's just about do-able. BUT a lot of roads have very faded road markings and in situations where there's hugely long traffic queues, I think it'll be a struggle sad

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: