Talk

Advanced search

child locks that work! urgent

(8 Posts)
cansu Sat 08-Dec-18 15:28:58

I have a disabled son who has started to try and get out of the car whilst the vehicle is in motion. I thought I had a central locking button on my car door that would stop the doors being opened but it seems it stops people outside opening the doors but releases the lock inside as soon as someone pulls on the door handle inside. Is there a car with a different system that would prevent my son (who is 17 and has severe learning disabilities) from opening his door and jumping out. Thankfully I was turning into a car park today so at a very low speed but I am now terrified of it happening again.

ElfOnTheShelfAteMyJoy Sat 08-Dec-18 15:30:19

In my car there is a switch on the inner part of the door handle which locks the car from inside. What car do you have?

Faithless12 Sat 08-Dec-18 15:31:08

You need to activate the child lock inside the back doors of the car. You’ll need to lock at your cars handbook. Normally you’ll need to open the door and there is a switch in the bit below the lock mechanism in the door.

SlowlyShrinking Sat 08-Dec-18 15:32:09

Can you put the child locks on? It’s something in the catch of the door that you adjust. It should be in the manual.

ElfOnTheShelfAteMyJoy Sat 08-Dec-18 15:32:21

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxu6cGe3MI0

greensnail Sat 08-Dec-18 15:32:37

It's normally a little switch on the actual door to put the child locks on. You can only see the switch when the door is open. I would go and have a look at your car to see if you have one.

SoyDora Sat 08-Dec-18 15:35:55

I thought all cars had a child lock system which prevents them being opened from the inside? What car do you have?

cansu Sat 08-Dec-18 15:39:55

Thank you. Found it!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: