Talk

Advanced search

Why is my car insurance so expensive?

(15 Posts)
Underpressure96 Tue 27-Nov-18 17:14:56

I am becoming very upset and baffled as to why my car insurance is so ridiculously high.
I have 4 years no claims, have never had an accident and drive a 2003 Nissan Micra and I pay monthly. I'm paying over £100 a month for my insurance and it seems to be getting higher every year - can anyone help/explain why it is so high?
Thank you

Thiswayorthatway Tue 27-Nov-18 17:16:16

How old are you? What's your postcode?

MissMarplesKnitting Tue 27-Nov-18 17:16:30

Where do you live?
Where do you keep your car eg. On the drive
Have you had driving points?
How old are you?
Is the cover comprehensive or TPF&T?

All factors at play.

Farontothemaddingcrowd Tue 27-Nov-18 17:18:09

Assuming you shop around and don t stay with the same insurer?

FreckledLeopard Tue 27-Nov-18 17:18:17

Are you shopping around at every renewal for cheaper deals? That seems sky high!

Seeline Tue 27-Nov-18 17:18:56

How long have you been driving?
What job do you have?

Timeforabiscuit Tue 27-Nov-18 17:21:25

Have you changed your insurer at all?

When going through my mums affairs she was paying several hundred pounds over the odds for house insurance because she kept auto renewing year on year.

CruelAndUnusualParenting Wed 28-Nov-18 21:56:39

Certain jobs can be a major factor in high insurance premiums as well.

UnrelentingFruitScoffer Wed 05-Dec-18 11:43:25

First question is have you shopped around and asked for quotes from different insurers? If you don't shop around they just put the premium up and up every year when you renew. The amount you mention seems very high unless you are very young.

KitKat1985 Mon 14-Jan-19 15:31:57

Is it going up each year. I find my insurance premiums tend to creep up each year unless I do a price comparison every year. Mine is only about £300 a year now on a 5 year old Fiesta.

GiantKitten Mon 14-Jan-19 15:49:58

Some companies are much worse than others for massively increasing at renewal, although now they’re compelled to give you the details every year it doesn’t sneak by in the same way any more.

Have a look at LV, as they very much don’t do that.

www.lv.com/car-insurance

CantWaitToRetire Mon 14-Jan-19 16:06:18

There are lots of factors that will affect the cost of car insurance but auto renewing is a bad idea. Make sure you shop around. One year my husband got a renewal quote through the post and he went online with the same company and got it cheaper. He then called them and told them to match the online quote or he was leaving. Also it can sometimes cost more to insure an older car because they won't have all the latest safety features that a newer car does.

InvisbleWonder Wed 16-Jan-19 00:56:15

Car insurance tends to rise year by year, as accidents increase yearly. I blame mobiles, and also a crappy economic climate.
One of the biggest factors is your area, so that’s probably why it is initially high.
Try putting a parent on as a named driver if they have been driving for a long time smile

heeblejeeble Wed 16-Jan-19 01:25:45

Ours is high at about £90 a month but my husband has points (Grrr) and I've only been driving for 3 years. You should absolutely shop around, some of the bigger names were quoting us £150 a month when we last renewed.

CruelAndUnusualParenting Thu 17-Jan-19 10:31:36

Work through the MSE car insurance guide and see if it helps

www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-insurance/

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »