Talk

Advanced search

Seat Ibiza or Toyota Yaris?

(15 Posts)
MyCatIsAFiend Mon 26-Nov-18 09:27:32

We're looking for our first car (passed test years ago but haven't driven regularly in a long time due to living in London). Looking for a car up to 3 years old, under 30k on the clock, small enough not to be too expensive to run, big enough to not feel like a tin can on the motorway (although most driving will be town driving).

We looked at a Seat Ibiza this weekend, which I liked the feel of, and am hoping to test drive one later this week/next weekend. We also looked at a Toyota Yaris.

In terms of what would be available locally, the Ibiza looks to be somewhat cheaper (we were hoping to spend under £7k). But I don't want this to be a false economy if the Yaris is actually a better car.

Does anyone have a Seat Ibiza or a Toyota Yaris? If so, how reliable are they and how are they to drive on a motorway?

LarryFreakinStylinson Mon 26-Nov-18 09:28:33

I’ve never had a Yaris but I’ve had two Ibiza’s and I’ve loved them both.

MyCatIsAFiend Mon 26-Nov-18 09:32:08

Ooh, a vote for the Ibiza! Thank you! No major issues, I take it, if you bought a second one? How many years did they last for?

mando12345 Mon 26-Nov-18 09:37:35

We have toyotas, we buy ex demonstrators, so at 10 years old when we fancy a change. They've all been problem free, cheap to run and reliable. If on a tight budget is to for a Toyota.

mando12345 Mon 26-Nov-18 09:37:58

Sell not so!

RustyBear Mon 26-Nov-18 09:44:03

I’ve had two Yarises, both automatics, and found them easy to drive, cheap to run (certainly compared to my previous Dihatsu) and reliable. My first one (‘08) was passed on to DD, (more because she needed a new car rather than because I did) and is still going strong, including occasional motorway journeys which it seems to cope well with. It had one new battery during that time but no mechanical issues. My current one (‘14) I’ve had for a year without problems, though now I’m retired my mileage is much lower. I’d definitely recommend a Yaris.

bullyingadvice2017 Mon 26-Nov-18 09:54:27

I have a ten year old Ibiza bloody love it. No tax, diesel, low insurance and it goes forever on half a tank.
Never had any issues except replaced the original battery.

LarryFreakinStylinson Mon 26-Nov-18 16:37:36

First Ibiza was 16 years old when we gave up on it second one is 8 years old and going strong. They’re pretty much VW’s under the bonnet.

Baxdream Mon 26-Nov-18 19:41:05

I wouldn't recommend a Yaris for the motorway. We had one as a lease for two years. Glad to get rid. Cheap to run but soulless and plasticky. Definitely didn't feel safe on a motorway

MaxTeyon Tue 27-Nov-18 11:16:31

They’re pretty much VW’s under the bonnet.

That is NOT a good thing. Get a Yaris or if you feel that’s a bit small try the Auris.

Craft1905 Tue 27-Nov-18 13:50:07

They’re pretty much VW’s under the bonnet.

That is NOT a good thing. Get a Yaris or if you feel that’s a bit small try the Auris.

It is a good thing. She's not on an emissions crusade, just wants a small reliable car. VW based mechanicals are brilliant, as are Toyota. Both are good cars.

MaxTeyon Tue 27-Nov-18 18:58:29

It is a good thing. She's not on an emissions crusade, just wants a small reliable car. VW based mechanicals are brilliant, as are Toyota. Both are good cars.

VW are distinctly average when it comes to build quality and reliability. They’re not terrible but a long way behind the Japanese and even the Koreans. I’d buy a Kia or Hyundai over a VW every single time. Most things in the VW group are best avoided really.

MyCatIsAFiend Mon 03-Dec-18 09:48:53

So....we bought a Seat Ibiza!

Ruled out the Kia Rio because I didn't feel I could see properly out of the rear windscreen (short arse alert).

Ho hummed about the Yaris after one bad experience with a Toyota dickhead salesperson at the weekend and our local dealer failing to get back to us to arrange a test drive.

But saw a Seat Ibiza which met our mileage/age requirement and was on budget. Test drove it, liked it and bought it!

Thank you for the advice - can't quite believe we have a car!

LikeARedBalloon Wed 12-Dec-18 18:28:31

I'm looking at two ibiza's this weekend....I've had an arosa and a Leon and loved both so fingers crossed!

QuestionableMouse Wed 12-Dec-18 18:31:45

Friend had an Ibiza estate and it feels tiny inside.

Have a look at the Skoda Fabia/citi go too. I drive a Fabia 2 and it has more space than the Seat estate!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »