Talk

Advanced search

Need to put three car seats across the second row, would you buy: VW Touran, Ford S-Max or Citreon Grand Picasso?

(26 Posts)
mammyoftwo Tue 12-Jun-18 17:29:06

Dc1 is currently in a Maxi Cosi AxissFix carseat - due to move out of it soon, for bigger size.

Dc2 is currently in Maxi Cosi ordinary first stage baby car seat (?CabrioFix) - needs out of it ASAP to bigger size.

Dc3 - currently ttc.

So, either way,
Dc1 needs a bigger seat (probably stage 1/2/3, up to 12 years, after reluctantly deciding against further rear-facing seat up to 7 years).
Dc2 will move into existing Maxi Cosi AxissFit
If we have dc3 we need space for standard Maxi Cosi babyseat.

Have been looking at internal dimensions of three cars listed. Across the 2nd row the internal width appears to be in or around 160cm. However, I'm not sure that tells me how "useable" that space is etc. So, I guess I'm really looking for experiences of putting a stage1/2/3 seat, Maxi Cosi AxissFit seat and Maxi Cosi baby seat into these cars. What did you find worked for you? Were their any restrictions placed on choosing a 1/2/3 carseat, by first buying one of these cars?

Thanks so much.

Trilllllian Tue 12-Jun-18 17:33:40

Routan fits three baby or child seats. Way back I tried to fit three in a Picasso, S Max etc at car warehouse. You ran was the only decent option - and you can remove seats and if they are arguing put one in the back
Row and remove a middle row seat

mammyoftwo Tue 12-Jun-18 17:33:44

Should have said, it's a stage 1/2/3 isofix car seat we'd be looking to buy.

Trilllllian Tue 12-Jun-18 17:34:11

Touran not youtran!

ArfArfBarf Tue 12-Jun-18 17:35:49

I have a Ford smax and have three car seats in the middle row. Each seat is a full seat. You can also move the seats back and forward individually - creating a bit more space to get to seatbelt buckles. I think all three have useable isofix as well (in that you can use actually use all the isofix points at the same time which is pretty rare). I’ve used it with a range of seats (although not the ones you’ve mentioned) and never had a problem with fit or actual day-to-day use.

lostintime17 Tue 12-Jun-18 17:36:32

I have a Ford S-Max, it has 3 full size seats in the back so will have no problem fitting 3 car seats in.

ArfArfBarf Tue 12-Jun-18 17:36:49

Should say it’s a 2017 model so maybe the older ones are different.

lostintime17 Tue 12-Jun-18 17:38:19

Oh and we have a maxi cosi and a stage 1/2/3 car seat which fit really well.

Neverexpected2 Tue 12-Jun-18 17:46:14

I've had a few smaxs in past as needed 3 seats in a row and thought they were fantastic family cars. Loads of space and even with seats up in boot there's still some decent boot space (unlike the discovery sport which barely fitted a picnic bag in once seats in boot up)

HolaWeenie Tue 12-Jun-18 18:02:53

Another smax owner here, as others have said it fits three seats no probs. I have britax car seats. I have an older smax too, 2013.

mammyoftwo Tue 12-Jun-18 18:41:54

Thank you, all v helpful, especially years of car make/model as we'll be purchasing second hand.

mammyoftwo Tue 12-Jun-18 19:08:34

Is there anything else I should know or take into consideration?

Brown76 Tue 12-Jun-18 19:15:22

That you need to check the individual car seat manufacturers to see if they are compatible with the car you want to buy.

exhaustedpigeon12 Tue 12-Jun-18 19:19:25

We have just got the Citroen c4 Picasso and it has 3 isofix fittings across back, we have 3 high back booster car seats in a row. Seats move forwards and backwards individually which helps with belts etc. We also looked at the Audi A7 and the Volvo XC90 (obviously different price brackets though!)

Orangedaisy Tue 12-Jun-18 19:24:09

Used to have a touran. Loved it. Drove brilliantly. Now have grande Picasso. It’s actually roomier but doesn’t drive quite as well. But it’s absolutely fine now I’m used to it. Damn not being able to afford vw any more.

mammyoftwo Tue 12-Jun-18 19:41:47

Excellent tip brown!

CarDad Tue 12-Jun-18 23:36:43

Out of the 3 cars you have listed, the Ford S-Max is the best overall IMO

Chickpearocker Tue 12-Jun-18 23:50:24

How is the s max for parking ?

ArfArfBarf Wed 13-Jun-18 11:10:11

I think the smax is pretty hard to park. It’s a wide car and I find car seats in the middle make it difficult to see out the back window easily. Mine came with parking sensors and a rear camera which helps a lot (and park assist if I learn how to use it).
It could really do with sliding doors.

mammyoftwo Wed 13-Jun-18 11:49:49

I was so focussed on carseats I never even thought about parking/driving a wider car!shock

teaandbiscuitsforme Thu 14-Jun-18 12:07:53

I'd recommend the Seat Alhambra. You can fit 3 car seats in easily and the sliding doors are an absolute lifesaver with little ones. It means you can park anywhere and not have to worry about leaving space to get them out!

Chickpearocker Thu 14-Jun-18 12:15:16

Thanks arfarf. the Volkswagen sharan has sliding doors as well, I heard it’s basically the same as the al hambra.

teaandbiscuitsforme Thu 14-Jun-18 12:17:16

It is basically the same car, but the VW badge adds £££ to the price. I've been very impressed with the Alhambra and I don't find it big to drive or park (although we do have the camera and sensors).

CarDad Mon 18-Jun-18 22:09:49

the sharon and alhambra are 99% identical

mammyoftwo Tue 19-Jun-18 07:37:30

Thank you!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: