Talk

Advanced search

We've spent weeks researching and testing the best new family cars on the market. Read our family car reviews to find out which ones were awarded Mumsnet Best.

A car with 3 proper seats at the back?

(12 Posts)
Carshopping2018 Tue 03-Apr-18 19:30:01

Hi,

I'm looking to buy my next car, and I need it to have 3 proper seats at the back. There will be two car seats in the back, and then an adult will need to fit inbetween them.

I'm only looking second hand as I only have up to £1500 to spend. I know it's not a lot so I won't get much for my money, but it's all I've got.

I've looked into Vauxhalls Zafira's, but I haven't read great things about them. I don't necessarily need a 7 seater, just something with the 3 full seats at the back so I don't need something massive.

Does anyone have any suggestions please? Thank you

themueslicamel Wed 04-Apr-18 21:21:31

For that money a Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0 hdi is what you need.

Get the 2.0 rather than the 1.6 and it will last forever.

You will find a good one for this money

MollyDaydream Wed 04-Apr-18 21:24:41

I was going to say xsara Picasso too.

Mouthfulofquiz Wed 04-Apr-18 21:28:04

Same here - we’ve had one for 2 years now which we bought for approx £2k. It’s not the most glamorous car but it’s very comfortable and spacious inside. The kids actually love it.

piercinggelo Wed 04-Apr-18 21:31:23

I think the Renault scenic has 3 full seats as well.

Carshopping2018 Wed 04-Apr-18 22:08:20

Thanks for the replies!

I've seen picasso's come up on gumtree and thought they looked ideal as they've got the 3 seats at the back, a big boot but they don't look like they'd be that much bigger than my current car to drive.

However, I've heard so many bad things about French cars over the years, about things going wrong with the electrics. Is that true, or just a myth?

themueslicamel Wed 04-Apr-18 23:28:20

I ran a Picasso for 60k miles and if yo slammed the bonnet the headlamp bulbs needed a wiggle but it had 200k on the clock when I sold it and it still ran well.

Great little car, I have had more faults with German cars I've owned than with Citroen's, and I had 6 of them over the years.

Drove one 2,300 miles in a week once, never missed a beat.

The scenic middle seat on the older cars is more narrow by the way, not sure this changed on the latter ones?

G1ggleloop Thu 05-Apr-18 00:53:48

I've got a scenic. 2006 model. The middle seat in the back is slightly narrower but I can ride comfortably in it between two high backed boosters and an I'm a size 20. Had mine for two years and it's given me. O problems at all.

Carshopping2018 Fri 06-Apr-18 15:55:50

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been looking to see how much they tend to be in my area and they do seem affordable.

We can't afford to buy until the 16th, so it's just window shopping at the moment to get an idea of what to look out for.

I have seen one come up today with a dealer, with 85,000 miles for £495 which seems a bit too good to be true! Obviously that will have gone by the 16th. Otherwise most seem to be around £1000-£1200 which isn't too bad smile

Wotrewelookinat Fri 06-Apr-18 15:58:12

We’ve had a ford galaxy and Kia Sedona (which sadly isn’t made anymore but may get one 2nd hand).

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Fri 06-Apr-18 16:06:11

My parents have had 5 Citroens and never had any problems at all. They are good cars I think.

themueslicamel Fri 06-Apr-18 16:39:48

Just make sure the sils are ok under the front of the drivers door, they rot from inside out, so give them a good squeeze.

Avoid the 1.6 hdi as the duel mass flywheel and DPF are expensive to replace and the 2.0HDi has neither

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: