Talk

Advanced search

We've spent weeks researching and testing the best new family cars on the market. Read our family car reviews to find out which ones were awarded Mumsnet Best.

Is a mini practical with 2 DC?

(9 Posts)
Peopleplease Sat 24-Mar-18 19:33:23

I have a VW Jetta which is 10 years old. I’ll probably be looking for a new (second hand) car in a year or two.

I’ve always wanted a mini but kinda thought there would be no point with kids but we’ve decided we’re finished at 2.

Kids would be 6 & 3 so no more buggy’s. Car would be for school runs and shopping mostly.

We also have a 7 seater which can be used If I need more seats/space.

Would a mini work?? Or what else should I look at? I’d prob go VW or Skoda.

BossWitch Sat 24-Mar-18 19:38:14

What type? You can get 4 door minis which I imagine (from looking at the size of the bleeding things from the outside... mini my arse!) would be no less practical than most hatchbacks.

I have a 2 door which is fine with one child, probably would struggle for legroom with two though. But I'm tall.

WaxOnFeckOff Sat 24-Mar-18 19:43:00

I don't have a mini but have been in the back of one (a 4 seater one) as a reasonably tall (5'9") adult and I've seen someone in one of the bigger 5 seat ones pick up 4 teenagers from high school. I'd definitely go 4/5 doors though as I ended up having to get rid of my 3 door car when mine became teenagers as it was a pain them getting in and out.

Dermymc Sat 24-Mar-18 19:45:13

They are stupidly small on the inside compared to the size from the outside.
I've been in the back of a 5 door and 3 door. The 3 door was virtually impossible to get in and out of without diving.

brittanyfairies Sat 24-Mar-18 19:46:15

I have a 2 door mini and 2 teenagers, one over 6 foot. The 14 year old if he sits behind me has plenty of room. Obviously less if he sits behind his lanky legged brother.

rainbowfudgee Sat 24-Mar-18 19:46:48

I have a 5 door mini Countryman. It's pretty big inside but easy to park. Boot is big enough for maclaren stroller. The controls light up in rainbow colours 😍🌈 I've driven lots of BMW s and the engine and controls are basically the same. Highly recommended. There's nothing I don't like about it!

uncoolnn Sat 24-Mar-18 19:47:48

I have a 3 door mini and there's no room at all in the back, it's really difficult to get in and out of without launching yourself. My mum, however, has the 5 door hatch version and hers is loads more roomy in the back so definitely possible with 2 DC smile

NC4Now Sat 24-Mar-18 19:47:49

I had a three door when my DCs were in KS2. It wasn’t practical. It was always a clamber and the boot was tiny - I struggled to fit a grocery shop in it.

Peopleplease Sun 25-Mar-18 09:38:53

I think I’d go 5 door. DH and I are both pretty short so I don’t expect to have very tall DC!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: