Talk

Advanced search

Ford B max - big enough for 5 + large dog??

(34 Posts)
PerfectlyDone Thu 22-Mar-18 20:17:05

What do you think?

I really did not like the S Max I recently test drove and it's just too massive.

I have 2 (massive and growing) teenagers and 2 younger boys who are also threatening to keep growing grin, there's little old me and The Hound (a greyhound).

So, would we get away with a B Max??
Any experiences much appreciated thanks

NotUmbongoUnchained Thu 22-Mar-18 20:20:04

My brother has an smax and struggles with just 3 kids.

PerfectlyDone Thu 22-Mar-18 20:20:52

He struggles with an SMax?? How?! shock

Ishouldntbesolucky Thu 22-Mar-18 20:21:36

What about a Cmax? Something in between?

NotUmbongoUnchained Thu 22-Mar-18 20:22:41

Once you get 3 kids in the back there’s not a lot of room.

lilydaisyrose Thu 22-Mar-18 20:22:43

I have 3 kids, no dog and a Ford Galaxy - its amazing! Lovely to drive and doesn't feel too big! 7 proper seats.

Will all 6 of you be going out regularly if you have a DP/DH/DW too? If so, where will the dog go?

PerfectlyDone Thu 22-Mar-18 20:24:24

I currently have an Audi Q7 and separation from my H forces change of car.
I have never actually liked the Q7 (I know that is such an entitled First World thing to say, marvellous car, such good quality, yaddayadda, but it is just a stupidly huge monster of a vehicle with not as much space inside as you might think, considering quite how massive it is on the outside. Hate the stupid thing.

So I need an estate/MPV of some sort, would really like to spend less than £5k, petrol ideally as I do nearly exclusively short trips.
Finances are not at all sorted out and I need something reasonably priced until the dust has settled.

PerfectlyDone Thu 22-Mar-18 20:25:34

No, no more H.
So I need to seat 3 adults (teenagers are adult size) and 2 primary school children, dog in the boot.

If we went away in the car I would have to have a roof box, clearly.

Tryingtogetitright Thu 22-Mar-18 20:26:33

What about a Grand C Max? I've got one and I love it. My last car was an old style Ka and it didn't feel like too much of a jump up in size

NotUmbongoUnchained Thu 22-Mar-18 20:27:51

I’ve not been in the cmax but I know with the smax is you have the back seats up there’s barely any boot space. Not enough for a dog.

PerfectlyDone Thu 22-Mar-18 20:28:12

According to Autotrader the nearest C-max to me is 180 miles away grin

FatimaLovesBread Thu 22-Mar-18 20:28:23

B max is small. Not really an mpv, it's a compact with slidey doors. I'd go C max at least

PerfectlyDone Thu 22-Mar-18 20:30:16

I liked the additional seats in the S max and how easy they were to put up and down, but as you said, not much room when they are up.
I don't really need the additional seats (although I did consider a Honda FRV for the ONE additional seat.

PerfectlyDone Thu 22-Mar-18 20:30:59

Ok, general consensus is Bmax is too small.
Aw well, too bad, there is a tidy looking one for sale just a few miles away from me.

Thank you, all thanks

NotUmbongoUnchained Thu 22-Mar-18 20:32:14

Aaah if you don’t need additional seats you might be ok.

bojangles Thu 22-Mar-18 20:33:41

I have a b max. It's not an mpv. No option to move seats in back. Boot not big enough for a dog. I can squeeze 3 kids in the back but it's tight and mine are not teenagers but not in car seats. It's nippy and suits it's purpose but from what you say you'll need something bigger. We have a galaxy as family car and had the older style c max years back.

Bananamanfan Thu 22-Mar-18 20:37:47

I would recommend the 5 seat renault scenic. We are 3 adults & 2 primary dcs in high back boosters. Bought my 2010 model for £4.5k 18 months ago.

PerfectlyDone Thu 22-Mar-18 20:38:44

My problem is that I need a car that will fit all of us but also be small and nippy for work related travel that takes me in to all sorts of narrow/residential streets were parking is at a premium and what spaces there are are often tight.

So what I need is the car equivalent to a tardis, really! grin

Fourmagpies Thu 22-Mar-18 20:48:32

I love my B max, it is small and nippy (I have the 1.0 turbo) but it doesn't have much room in the boot and probably wouldn't be comfortable with 3 adults on a longer journey.

NotUmbongoUnchained Thu 22-Mar-18 20:50:22

How about a juke or a qashquai?

Bananamanfan Thu 22-Mar-18 21:14:19

I think you will be fine with a 5 seat mpv, op. The footprints are medium car sized and will feel so much smaller than a Q7.

PerfectlyDone Thu 22-Mar-18 21:41:29

Yes, I think 5 seats will be fine for us.

I grew up with elderly estate cars, but an medium sized MPC might be just the ticket for us.

Ah well, the search continues... smile

lilydaisyrose Fri 23-Mar-18 12:47:08

If you only need 5 seats and a big boot, would an estate not be better? DH has a Mazda6 which is really roomy and the boot is massive. Or neighbour has a Mondeo which is similar?

QuestionableMouse Fri 23-Mar-18 12:50:59

Octavia estate would be my choice. There's normally plenty for sale too so you get a good choice.

PerfectlyDone Fri 23-Mar-18 12:51:03

Yes, an estate would be the car I am most comfortable with.

I am trying to avoid diesels (doing short trips mainly) and my budget is tight.
I am looking at everything and I think that is part of the problem - far too many options confusedgrin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: