Talk

Advanced search

We've spent weeks researching and testing the best new family cars on the market. Read our family car reviews to find out which ones were awarded Mumsnet Best.

8-9k to spend, what car should I get?

(5 Posts)
stayhomeclub Mon 05-Mar-18 19:17:26

Sadly my faithful micra is coming to the end of its natural life and as me and DH think about DC, I’m thinking about buying something new. But what should I buy? I tend to buy a car and keep it for years and years rather than trading in. I’d like something of a reasonable size that we won’t outgrow in years to come. Ideally something with under 20k miles as I easily put 12k miles on the clock each year. So far I’ve thought about a Skoda rapid or a ford bmax. Had a nissan juke before and it was ok but I’m not sure it’d last well in the long term. Our other car is a fiesta but it’s probably a bit small to want another to match. Help!

Grumpbum Mon 05-Mar-18 19:19:44

I have a Nissan note I love it! 2 kids, variable boot size. Many holidays with it packed up till it’s full but totally achievable.

Just to add I don’t give two hoots about street cred

Cacti Mon 05-Mar-18 19:28:00

I would consider an Audi A3. It has substantial space, good for fuel and will last a long time.

Or a Seat Leon, my mum has one and loves it!

Phillipa12 Mon 05-Mar-18 19:31:01

I have a kia ceed sportswagon, its a small estate and i down sized from a discovery and i love it. 3 dc and plenty of boot space without the feeling that you are driving a hearse!

Missnearlyvintage Mon 05-Mar-18 19:49:44

We've got a vauxhall astra and love it. We looked around a couple of years ago as we only had about £5000 cash for a second hand family car and wanted the most for our money.
The cab is spacious, compared to some others and DH does 2 hours + commuting a day in it in comfort.
The best thing we did was go to a used car supermarket and spend a good few hours sitting in lots and lots of different cars. It gave us a clear picture of what we wanted and it was astonishing how some cars that we had shortlisted didn't suit us at all once we'd sat in them. We didn't buy from the used car supermarket though as the cars were too modern and expensive for us.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: