Talk

Advanced search

Recommend me a 5dr automatic family hatchback!

(13 Posts)
MegBusset Sat 03-Mar-18 22:40:36

I hate shopping for cars and have no idea where to start so grateful for any recommendations for a car that is:

- 5dr hatchback
- petrol
- automatic
- decent size boot, though doesn't need to be massive as we are past the stage of buggies etc
- reliable and nice to drive, easy to park etc

We were looking at Ford B-max but there are lots of posts online complaining about its Powershift automatic transmission.

Pettynotvindictive Sat 03-Mar-18 22:45:21

Ford is ok but Kia or Nissan are better.
I know I'm regretting the Seat I've got.

OldGuard Sat 03-Mar-18 22:53:18

I think the subaru is pretty good

To be honest, I misread your op as “recommend a dramatic hatchback” grin

MegBusset Sat 03-Mar-18 22:56:59

Thanks Oldguard, I'm quite happy for it to be a thoroughly undramatic car grin

TalbotAMan Sat 03-Mar-18 22:59:39

What's your budget? What will you use the car for? What's your usual annual mileage?

MegBusset Sat 03-Mar-18 23:09:56

Budget up to 10k ish for a car around 3 years old with mileage under 20k

I have a small runaround Panda so the new car will mostly be used for longer journeys, so needs to be comfortable on a motorway, decent acceleration, comfy to sit in for a few hours, reasonable mpg and not feel like it's going to disintegrate over 60mph ( like the Panda does).

Will also be used as a second car around town so needs to be not too big or unwieldy.

It's to replace a 2005 Vauxhall Zafira which we've had for a decade and I like driving, but has become increasingly unreliable and costly to run - is also a bit bigger than we need (is a 7-seater but we only need 5 seats).

MegBusset Sat 03-Mar-18 23:10:30

Usual annual mileage about 10k.

mbwoy84 Sun 04-Mar-18 13:51:29

Honda Civic.

Big enough, yet compact enough.

Reliable, good to drive, decent automatic gearbox, very well built.

Unihorn Sun 04-Mar-18 13:52:48

I have a Skoda Fabia and I love it.

MegBusset Sun 04-Mar-18 17:42:29

Civic probably out of our price range sadly. We're considering the Jazz if anyone has any experience?

SadieHH Sun 04-Mar-18 17:53:43

Focus. I’m on my third, this one is an estate but have always had auto Focuses and never had a problem with them. Good to drive, roomy enough bootspace although we needed more for UK holidays, hence the estate. Can’t fault it at all.

TalbotAMan Mon 05-Mar-18 19:30:20

Having thought about this, have you looked at the Toyota Prius? It seems to tick all your boxes. You might have difficulty getting the age and mileage you want for your price, but that's because they are in huge demand by the minicab trade because they are (by reputation) bombproof and use very little fuel.

Alternatively, the Toyota Auris Hybrid is much the same mechanicals in a more conventional looking skin.

I haven't any experience of either. We both ran Hondas in the past and very much liked them but when we had the DC we needed something Zafira like which Honda didn't offer.

SouthLondonDaddy Tue 20-Mar-18 14:58:13

Do you need reversing camera and "self-parking"? You can find the former on pretty much all modern hatchbacks (Focus, Astra, etc), and the latter them on quite a lot but AFAIK not on the Civic.

Bear in mind that the spoiler of the civic limits rear visibility; some people hate it, some are not bothered.

Are there zipcars in your area? In London, hatchbacks are the most common zipcars (Hyundai i 30, Gold, Focus and a few others I now forget); not sure what it costs to sign up to zipcar, but it might be a cheap way to try a few hatchbacks for half a day or so.

Boot capacity is tricky to judge; the official specs mean very little, because everyone seems to measure it differently, plus an oddly shaped 400l boot may be less useful than a perfectly straight 360l one. E.g. the Golf is said to have one of the most spacious boots, supposedly better than the Focus, but we found the Focus better (easier to fit the pram + shopping bags).

Which? is one of the few sites which measures boot capacity up to the cargo cover and up to the roof; I find the former measurement more useful because most hatchbacks tend to be oddly shaped above the cargo line so making the most of that space is harder, plus I'd rather not block the rear view mirror completely.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: