Talk

Advanced search

Diesel or petrol?

(12 Posts)
Lucinda15 Wed 28-Feb-18 18:29:39

We are looking to buy a used car. We can only really find the type we want (larger mpv’s) in diesel (within our budget). We have been trying to avoid diesel, for the reasons widely reported in the media. But it’s really restricting our choices and are now considering going with diesel as we desperately need a new car.

Would this be an awful mistake?

lljkk Wed 28-Feb-18 18:30:39

How long do you think you'll use it for?

Lucinda15 Wed 28-Feb-18 20:15:36

Maybe the next 7-10 years perhaps??

gamerchick Wed 28-Feb-18 20:20:58

I’m never getting another diesel again. Not after all that dpf carry on angry so obviously I’ll advise against it if you just want one to do mostly local journeys.

If you’re going to hit a motorway regular for a decent chunk of time it’ll be fine probably.

I still wouldn’t.

lljkk Wed 28-Feb-18 20:25:47

I reckon I would buy diesel if it's only way you can get what you need. 10 yrs takes you only to 2028.

We are quite minimal car users, mind. Walk & cycle most of our journeys. Do appreciate cars very much so we can go much further at times, though.

Even whatcar says "If your driving is mainly town-based, diesels really are best avoided."

lljkk Wed 28-Feb-18 20:26:38

ps: there's a good "Help you choose" tool on that last link I posted.

whistlingwigwam Sun 04-Mar-18 13:00:51

If you're going to carry out short runs, where the engine remains cold, buy a petrol. Unless you can take the car for longer runs regularly. Diesel engines like to run warm and don't run efficiently on constant short trips. Otherwise, buy what suits your family and maintain it well. You'll loose more money by changing out an unsuitable car, then you will by buying the right one for you in the first place.
Advice from Government changes all the time, who knows what will be the next great worry. I would be more concerned about the UK running short of energy, than driving a well maintained diesel car in an appropriate way.

WidowTwonky Sun 11-Mar-18 22:52:16

I’ve just been hit with a £1.2k repair bill due to the DPF. Don’t get a diesel if you don’t regularly drive on th m’way

UnrelentingFruitScoffer Mon 12-Mar-18 22:49:47

Why not get an electric car ? Much cheaper to run and brillliant fun to drive.

Longdistance Mon 12-Mar-18 22:52:26

I’m getting a petrol as my next one, and am ditching the diesel.
I have test drove a few electric cars, but they didn’t have much pulling power on the test drives. Tbh, I don’t think they’re quite there yet with the electric cars (unless it’s a Tesla £££££).

UnrelentingFruitScoffer Tue 13-Mar-18 10:58:10

Well it’s always a personal choice.

It’s true electric cars aren’t good for towing trailers or caravans, brings the range down too much. But they’re much faster off the line at the traffic lights. Even a cheap electric car will beat any BMW or Alfa or Porsche because of the instant torque. And driving around town is very lively indeed if you want it to be.

juneau Tue 13-Mar-18 11:06:46

Not all diesels are more polluting than all petrols - so if this is worrying you then do your research. Older diesels are quite polluting, but a lot of modern ones compare favourably with petrol equivalents for emissions.

If you do a lot of long-distance and/or motorway driving diesel tends to be more fuel efficient (significantly so, in fact, up to 15-20%). If you need a car for short hops, city driving, the school run, etc, then petrol is better.

But there have been rumours for a couple of years now that diesel drivers are going to be hit with additional taxes and/or banned from city centres.

Personally, if cost were no object, I would probably buy a hybrid now.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: