Talk

Advanced search

We've spent weeks researching and testing the best new family cars on the market. Read our family car reviews to find out which ones were awarded Mumsnet Best.

Used Toyota Auris Hybrid

(3 Posts)
asneakysnickers Wed 14-Feb-18 18:19:38

Sadly my dad died a while ago and on the day a small inheritance came my old car decided to develop an electrical issue which will not be cost effective to resolve.
Big a bit of a hippy I thought I'd like a hybrid (not being totally committed to cycling on all my journeys!) I thought this would be straightforward but I feel exhausted by the process.
Test drive, fine. Sales pitch - turns out that the car may well be stolen from me if I don't take out HP at 8%, as this is searchable by car thieves and HP puts them off stealing it, and of course the insurance doesn't cover it for the full amount I would pay (doesn't this suggest its overpriced?!) I don't want HP at 8% to presumably line the salesmans pocket. Do I really have to risk the insurance not covering the full amount I would pay? Any advice or wise words?
Thank you

WendyHadWings Sat 17-Feb-18 00:08:57

The salesman at the dealership gets more commission if he sells you finance as well as selling you a car. That’s all.

It’s a long time since I heard such a cheeky nonsensical argument from a car salesman. The kinds of thieves who search out cars to steal and look them up on the interweb don’t go looking for used Toyota Auris hybrids. They want big BMWs and Jaguars.

In any case, if your car is stolen the insurance payout should get you an equivalent car. It may not get what you originally paid as any car depreciates in price each week that you own it but it will get you enough to buy a replacement for what you lost.

My advice would be to go to a different dealer as if he’s willing to tell you fairy stories like that he’ll not be above a few other nasty tricks that cost you money. A typical one is to show you the car with good tyres on, but deliver it with very used tyres.

PickAChew Sat 17-Feb-18 00:21:36

Never hear that one.

We compared auris hybrids with our avendis, when we bought it. never got told any such thing

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: